buying-Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - What MB + cpu cooler??

cte 12:28 13 Apr 06

hi everyone!!!! :D

i was looking to buy a barebones Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2gig setup from novatech.... but im not that happy with the mb included, and am thinking of buying parts seperatly....

i want to buy an:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ / 2.2 GHz Dual-Core - Socket 939 - L2 1 MB

so, some questions... :)

1. do any of you have any recommendations on a motherboard for this chip??? (was looking at the 'ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe' but it doesnt seem to get raving reviews - plus maybe a little expensive)

2. what is a good cpu cooler (Heatsink & Fan
) for this type of chip?? ( i am not looking at overclocking)

3. as far as memory goes.... i want to buy

2 x '400MHz 184Pin 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V 3.2Gb/Sec' ... from novatech

click here

this should be ok yes? will compatability depend on the mother board ??

and lastly.... i have an 'antec true480p PSU'. will this work with the setup im looking to buy, or will i have to buy a new PSU for the system???

thanks people!!!!!

andy

Totally-braindead 13:18 13 Apr 06

Its a good power supply you have there and yes it should do nicely. Nothing against Novatechs memory, I use Novatech for most of my PC bits but I prefer Crucial click here for memory. Regarding type of memory it depends both on the processor used and on the motherboard, you want the correct speed memory for the processor but also the correct type of memory to be compatible with the motherboard.
There are so many boards that can take dual core chips that its differcult for me to recommend a particular one the only thing I can recommend is makes and then you have to hunt about a bit for reviews. The board you mention is good I like ASUS I have the A8N-SLI deluxe but it is even more expensive than the one you were looking at, MSI do some nice boards as well and its well worth a look at what they offer.

Heres a link to some reviews click here My advice if you want to do it this way, you've decided what chip you want, pick your motherboard then go to Crucial and get memory to suit.

Totally-braindead 13:21 13 Apr 06

Also have a read of this click here and this click here

cte 17:16 13 Apr 06

thanks again for your quick response Totally-braindead :)

i have had a read over the links u gave me, and i have had a mooch about the net for the past few hours....

im still confused on some aspects :(

one main point i am unclear about for instance...

i keep looking at the 'Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe 939 DDR400 PCI-E SATA/ATA Raid' motherboard. but in the specs it says Max Bus Speed 1000 MHz .... i dont know anything about bus speeds lol!!! ... but if i have the athlon 64 x2 chip, it runs at 2000 mhz i think?? so this board wouldnt be suitable for the cpu?? i should look for something with 2000mhz..... is that right??

sorry about this!!! i am just trying to get things clear in my head, and this is proving to be very confusing lol!!!

thanks again my man!!! ;)

chamoclafastic 17:52 13 Apr 06

The asus a8n32 sli deluxe is a very good motherboard and would be perfectly suited to the x2 4200, however unless you are planning to buy a very decent graphics set-up then i would recommend getting a cheaper one, it is around £30 dearer than the normal sli deluxe and apart from the dual 16x pci-e slots there is not much difference. However in my opinion an x2 4400 would be a more worthwhile purchase as it has 2mb of l2 cache (better for multitasking)

cte 18:55 13 Apr 06

hmm... interseting....

yes... i dont think i will be buying high end graphics setup, so maybe a cheaper option might be the right thing for me....

is the 'Asus A8N-SLI Premium nFORCE4 SLi 939 PCI-E DDR400, SATA, Raid' what you were thinking of??? with SLI: x8, x8 mode; single card: x16, x1 mode?

i think could be a good option, and as you say, look at x2 4400 chips.... i will check them out now...

Mr Mistoffelees 21:02 13 Apr 06

I have one of these click here
Both quiet and very efficient.

cte 21:11 13 Apr 06

thanks for the cooler link ;)

with the motherboard, i do realise now that SLI is not important for me..... i cant see me getting 2 vid cards anytime soon...

with that said... do you guys have any recommendations for a high end, non SLI, mb that will suite a x2 4400 chip?? again... i am looking at boards on the net, but keep going round in circles :(

i was thinking the 'Asus A8N-E Nforce4 Ultra PCI-E DDR400 GB LAN SATA ' ... but it doesnt seem to support athlon 64 x2?????

click here

Mr Mistoffelees 21:32 13 Apr 06

Tha Asus A8N-E does support Athlon64 X2 click here

rmcqua 21:39 13 Apr 06

What is it about the Asus m/b supplied with the Novatech barebones kit that you don't like? It looks a good m/b to me.

chamoclafastic 23:38 13 Apr 06

The 'Asus A8N-SLI Premium would be perfectly suited to the spec you are looking for, the board will support all x2's and as Mr Mistoffelees has pointed out, the zalman is a great cooler, very quiet and keeps the temps a lot lower than the stock cooler. this motherboard, cpu (4400) and cooler would be an excellent combo. I know it may be pushing the budget but 2gb of memory (2x1gb) wouldn't go amiss either ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…