Buying advice Digital Camcorder

byfordr 22:22 03 Feb 04

I'm after a digital camcorder. I must confess not a area I know much about. Can anyone suggest any useful review sites, or indeed cameras that they have personal experience of.

I'm looking for something with good picture quality, good sound (either internal or with the use of an additional external microphone) reasonable light (Always prefer it when my arm doesn't drop of!) Looking at the various formats Mini DV would seem to be the order of the day (in terms of weight) Is this the best format?

Price range £300 - £500.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance. R

MichelleC 09:27 04 Feb 04

I've always prefered Sony mainly because they inovated the 'passthrough' utility in dv camcords so analogue tapes can be converted to dv.

Make sure your choice has got dv 'in' enabled or you'll have to get a widget to enable it or you can't transfer back from pc to camcord. Top or side loading is best otherwise if it's bottom loading and you're using a tripod it's a pain.

anchor 11:37 04 Feb 04

Somewhere to start; the PCA digital camcorder reviews:

click here

byfordr 13:48 04 Feb 04

Cheers for that! All advice is useful, keep it coming!

R

Jonathan314159 14:58 04 Feb 04

Its a good format-very high quality compared to old miniVHS.

Dont know how it compares to the new DVD camcorders, but I can't see a massive advantage with those, since to get any sensible film you really need to do some editing. And I would think that is easier with tape rather than DVD (since it will be in avi format on the tape which is easier to edit than MPEG2 which I believe the DVD machines use). Others will correct me (as usual) if I am wrong!

Edbanger 15:02 04 Feb 04

Have a look at this

click here

Ed.

anniel 15:14 04 Feb 04

I am not a techie person and wanted a good looking, small, robust camera for everyday use.

The Canon Ixus is very versatile, can be just used as a "point and shoot" but has huge numbers of features which husband is learning.

It is very strong as the case is aluminium, so can take a bit of bashing.

As a woman, I love the fact that I can just chuck it in my handbag and it is ready for any occasion.

It is one "sexy" camera!

It is also within your price range.

byfordr 15:22 04 Feb 04

I was looking for more a camcorder that, a digital camera.

Cheers for all the other replies...I've found the Canon MV650i for £390 does anyone have any experience of it?

byfordr 15:23 04 Feb 04

I was looking for more a camcorder than a digital camera even fingers a little too quick today!

byfordr 21:25 04 Feb 04

Read a few reviews and found a couple that seem interesting - Sony DCR-TRV33 (£490) Canon MV650i (£390) That seem to do all I want. So I'm going to have a play on Saturday...of course if anyone has any further advice feel free to add. Failing that thanks for all the responses.

Cheers

R

cara 23:01 04 Feb 04

Excellent website - loads of advice simplydv.co.uk

Amongst other things, visit the forums - essential reading before you buy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…