Buyer beware?

Diemmess 18:11 06 Mar 07

Over the hours I spend watching various threads there is often a plea for help when an internet deal goes sour.
Experience this afternoon trying to buy a very new digital camera are summarised to show why the deal was abandoned.

Many big names have not yet stocked this camera, but I found one who does.

Not the easiest site to navigate with some pages throwing up an SQL error, so being suspicious I looked almost in vain for a contact and tried their 0870 number.
Promptly answered by "Sadie." Assured they had stock. I asked for an address. Refused - unless I was going to return something when she said they would supply an address, but they were not running a mail order business!
Agreed with Sadie to place my order over the phone. We went right through to the credit card details, when she said she couldn't continue because she needed all sorts of memorable info. She was using the net, not some internal ordering procedure!

We parted, but being impulsive and impatient I tried to place a "net" order.
This time I went all through to the point where my basket summary showed that I had ordered not only the bare camera and a memory card, but in effect an extended warranty for each adding about £40 to the bill.

Back tracking got me in a mess with doubled numbers and though I got down to singIe items I could not get rid of the warranty additions, the option not to include these was ignored. At this point I came out of that site.

OK, I was much too impulsive, and maybe should have abandoned things earlier. I wont name the company because I was the idiot on the other end and it might be unfair to them.

I will just wait till the end of this month until the new camera is stocked by dealers I trust.

Totally-braindead 18:22 06 Mar 07

Just out of curiosity, what camera was it?

Diemmess 18:31 06 Mar 07

Olympus Sb 550 UZ

roy 18:45 06 Mar 07

I think this is the camera you mean. It is at Amazon at £292 and can be delivered free.
click here

spuds 19:22 06 Mar 07

Appears as though Sadie is not up to date with present day law. All bona fide companies must provide an address and directors details if requested.

I only hope that in the confusion you didn't by mistake press any buy now buttons. Knock on door and three of the same items being delivered! :O(

Diemmess 19:35 06 Mar 07

roy:
Spot on!
Stock changes constantly with a new product.

spuds:
Sadie's mum has a different name for her.

The firm may be OK but they had far too many rough edges to profit fom even my impatience.
You could be right about a queue of different couriers knocking on the door ... God forbid!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac