Buy or Build?

I. T. Mastermind 17:04 14 Apr 04

I have built three pcs so far, 2 Pentium 4s and an AMD Athlon, all of them work great, all modded. What do you believe is better buying or building? I'd say building because you save about £500 on labour. What do you think?

Sir Radfordin 17:11 14 Apr 04

How on earth do you work out you save £500 on labour? Even at the rate of a skilled mechanic you would get 10 hours work for that much! Building a PC should never take that long!

Unless you want something very specific my view is you can't build for less than you can buy. The higher the spec the more profit there may be and so you may save more but it is not a significant ammount.

I. T. Mastermind 17:15 14 Apr 04

What PC do you have? Self built or Shop bought?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:16 14 Apr 04

Try and build a Medion, with XP OS, nero, Pinnacle etc. for less than £749. You have no chance. Where on earth did you get £500 labour?

G

Sir Radfordin 17:21 14 Apr 04

I've got 5...but I fail to see what relavance that has on anything.

Totally-braindead 17:36 14 Apr 04

I've built between 15 and 20 now, all working fine, when I first started doing it you could save considerable money, but now.....
The Medion Gandalf mentions, I can't even buy the parts at the price that they supply the whole system. The only reason I build them myself is the pleasure it gives. You can't save even £100 on labour as most PC suppliers now charge nothing for building and rely on the profit from the parts used, in that they can get the parts at cost and I can't.

I. T. Mastermind 17:41 14 Apr 04

Listen take for example my self built Pentium 4 3.20GHz (Northwood core), 1024MB of DDR-400 RAM, Abit IC7-G Motherboard (Canterwood Chipset), LG DVD-Rom 16X Speed, LG CD-RW 52X24X52X, 80GB IBM E-IDE HDD, XFX Geforce FX 5900XT and a Silver Case with Clear side pannel from Special Reserve.
Now This lot cost me about £1000 however the last time I took a equivalent system spec on Alienware it cost about £1800, However please forgive the I wrote £500 just for labour.

I. T. Mastermind 17:45 14 Apr 04

I agree that building Pcs is incredably fun and not always just simply a walk in the park. Now seeing as I love 3D first person shooter games and PC modding, it is much better to mod your own pcs.

I. T. Mastermind 17:52 14 Apr 04

Now I am probably correct in assuming that niether of your like pc gaming or have never built any pcs, if so then you will probably not understand about the savings I am quoting compared to Alienware Gaming Systems. click here

Also for anyone who doesn't know what pc modding is then basically it is making your pcs look better with things like clear side pannels, cold cathodes, LED fan etc. If you still don't get it then search Google images for PC Modding or

Now I am probably correct in assuming that niether of your like pc gaming or have never built any pcs, if so then you will probably not understand about the savings I am quoting compared to Alienware Gaming Systems. click here

Also for anyone who doesn't know what pc modding is then basically it is making your pcs look better with things like clear side pannels, cold cathodes, LED fan etc. If you still don't get it then search Google images for PC Modding.

Also for anyone who doesn't know what pc modding is then basically it is making your pcs look better with things like clear side pannels, cold cathodes, LED fan etc. If you still don't get it then search Google images for PC Modding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…