Buy new car from online dealer?

Fordy 17:17 20 Jan 04

I find that I can save £3000 plus by buying a new Ford Focus online from UCMG or the like.

Can anyone recommend any particular company?

As this site has 129,000 users I would guess hundreds (thousands?) of you have been brave enough to take the plunge

Stuartli 17:32 20 Jan 04

You'll probably find that you can buy a new car for very similar prices at your local dealership, especially if you provide the proof of online prices.

The two have come very much closer in recent times pricewise.

Just as a matter of curiosity, why do you want to buy new?

If you buy the model you want as a nearly new example, a demonstrator or with only a few thousand miles on the odometer, then you will save far more and miss out on the initial high depreciation. Let someone else suffer the financial pain!

Stuartli 17:35 20 Jan 04

There have been many examples of people ordering online who have had to wait weeks for delivery - and even then might be let down by an online retailer.

Might be worth having a look at a well known consumer magazine's advice page on the subject:

click here

961 18:00 20 Jan 04

I've bought Ford, BMW and Volvo on-line, in each case by logging on to the manufacturers site and looking for a delivery mileage pre-registered car.

I've saved thousands each time, got the full manufacturers warranty, and in most cases got it from the local dealer

In each case the problem Stuartli mentions is avoided because the car exists, is readily available and a photo can usually be seen on the web site together with the detailed spec

carver 20:04 20 Jan 04

I bought a 4 month old Clio for the wife, ex demo 3000 miles on the clock,loaded with goodies and saved £4000 on list price. Count the extras and it's nearer £4700.

MisterPaul 20:15 20 Jan 04

fully loaded, Nissan Primera with 8,000 on the clock. Price new -£15,000. Price I paid -£8,000.

Try looking on click here. Play with the car valuation bit for a while and you will soon see how quickly new cars depreciate.

Stuartli 09:10 21 Jan 04

New cars' depreciation is calculated by its value after three years as a percentage of the purchase price; some of the values after this period for certain makes will horrify you...:-)

Mass produced cars, such as Ford, Vauxhall etc have the highest depreciation rates; more prestigious models such as BMW and Mercedes hold their value far better.

But don't let that put you off buying a Ford or similar mass produced vehicle - quality and reliability levels are of remarkably higher standards these days and buying a nearly new one need hold no fears if sourced from a reputable outlet.

It's a means of getting a far better car for less money than a new one and the choice will be vast.

But it's essential to ensure that any car has a full service record at a franchised dealership(s) if bought during the period of its warranty.

Only these dealers receive manufacturers' updated service advice, recall information etc and thus able to undertake any work which may be required.

Stuartli 09:14 21 Jan 04

You will have obtained the balance of the manufacturer's warranty and not the full version...:-)

When I say "a means of getting a far better car for less money than a new one" I mean, of course, it will almost certainly feature higher specification levels than would be affordable with a new model.

Stuartli 09:18 21 Jan 04

If you want to check on any pitfalls or common faults with various makes and models of cars pay a visit to:

click here

Honest John writes a regular column for a leading broadsheet and is a car dealer himself.

Fordy 10:05 21 Jan 04

My first car bought in 1959 was a secondhand Ford Popular. It was so much trouble I decided that I would never buy secondhand again.In 1960 I bought a new Ford Anglia, smashing little car, which I kept for 10 years. That is what I've done ever since, bought new, always Fords, and kept 10+years, it has worked well giving me virtually trouble free motoring.
I have no problem with buying a pre registered car delivery mileage only - that is what the online dealers are selling.

Stuartli - going to Honestjohn's site raised a point I hadn't thought of - 'recalls' - would online dealers be bothered to pass on such information, even if they were stll in business?

I've decided to take 961's advice and wait for a pre registered one from a local dealership and then press for the best deal I can.

Any good haggling tips - besides showing proof of internet prices? You were right, this certainly worked when I bought my digital camera from Jessops just before Xmas - they made a quick call to head office and no problem, But I can't imagine it's going to be that easy with Fords.

961 10:26 21 Jan 04'll save loads

If you go to the manufacturer's web site and look for used cars you'll find what you want at a good price. In many cases the local dealer will be able to get a car just like the one you have found and in some cases he'll actually get that car. My current Volvo came that way, had 9 miles on the clock and was the thick end of 5k off the new price. Remember you aren't paying for metallic paint and all the extras new cars cost.

As for warranty, well in many cases the balance of the manufacturers warranty actually amounts to 35 months or 60,000 miles with some sort of breakdown service included. Can't get much better than that

Remember the on-line dealer you find in the manufacturer's site will be a franchised dealer so you will get all the facilities a Ford buyer gets when he buys new, including recalls etc

Trawl the What Car? and similar web sites to get an indication of prices and depreciation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…