Business using residential bb & t service ?

keewaa 20:26 01 May 06

Can a business decide to sign up for a residential service for telephone and broadband if what is offered is enough for them. Is it up to the ISP & telephone company to say "no, we won't let you" or is there some legal reason why not.

Just wondering if the concept of business services is for a higher quality / quantity of service or if they are the only option allowed for businesses.

Diodorus Siculus 07:52 02 May 06

I can only speak for my experience. Cos we work from home, our phone line and fax line are both on business rates and this works out cheaper.

When we wanted to get the fax line BB enabled, BT would only allow us to do it via their business site.

Other ISPs didn't have any problem with it being a business line and we could have started the negotiations for BB at least - there may have been difficulties later on but on the face of it, no problems.

Stuartli 17:50 02 May 06

I know of one business that uses BT Business for phone calls (and gets very good rates as a result of negotiation, but uses an ISP's basic BB service for Internet use).

In fairness, the Internet usage is very low level and is unlikely to exceed 1GB a month.

Diodorus Siculus 17:59 02 May 06

What ISP? My BT contract runs out at the end of June so I'm looking at alternatives.

I don't download very much unless I am updating a pc for a friend or getting new Linux ISOs so don't think that I need the unlimited downloads that BT give me.

ectfabs 19:17 02 May 06

What some people seem to forget is that it's not just downloading files /music etc but also web pages that can count towards your total for example this page was 25.9KB (26.517 BYTES). This may not seem a lot but can soon add up to your limit .count how many pages you go on in a day!.

Diodorus Siculus 19:22 02 May 06

ectfabs - I'm aware of that - I also know that listening to streaming radio all day uses a lot of bandwidth. But I'm willing to see if a capped rate will be better value.

Stuartli 20:18 02 May 06

You seem to be getting your KBs mixed up with Mbs.

Using, for instance, a 2GB capped service you can be online for around eight hours a day each month and still be able to download e-mails, pix, music etc.

In fact TalkTalk states that its 40GB monthly cap will still allow you to download the equivalent of 8,000 tunes or 8.000 files from a 5MP camera.

Diodorus Siculus 23:08 02 May 06

Stuartli - I'm still wondering what ISP is used by the business you know? Thanks, Dio

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…