Burnt cd|dvd may not last as long as 2 yrs.

jakimo 13:48 21 Jan 06
  jack 14:17 21 Jan 06

looking at past threads- this topic needs airing from time to time.
A frequent cuss is 'I've lost my pictures' on a CD-R/CDRW-DVD
The remedy seems to be a program of constant replacement, on which ever media is used.

Forum Editor 14:37 21 Jan 06

I have data archives on CD which go back to 1997, and during a recent search for documents I was able to browse a 1997 CD with no problem at all, whereas a disk that was written a year later cannot be read in any of the four drives I've tried - it appears as totally blank.

Thalmus 15:56 21 Jan 06

Does anyone remember when CD's first came out? They were advertised as being indestructible and they were, you could get a CD rub on a concrete pavement completely scratch the hell out of it and it would still work! Nowadays even if you get just a tiny scratch on one it will render it useless.

I think that this to do with the higher levels of CD's they are producing now. Because they are making so many now in effort to keep production costs down they are using cheaper materials, or less of the 'gold plating' that the data is written to (if you hold a CD-R up to a light you can actually see through it).

All because of companies trying to save a buck we are getting substandard products that we can't rely on.

Stuartli 16:05 21 Jan 06

Imation (which usually rebrands Taiyo Yuden media) states on its website that certain of its CD and DVD media is anticipted to have a lifespan of 100 years:

click here

Also contains useful information on how to look after media.

In the case of DVD-R the phrase "Write-once format stores data permanently" is used - not sure how it can guarantee it though:

click here

I've been using Imation CD-Rs (from Morrisons) for more than two years and never had a coaster.

In addition, I've got magazine cover CD-ROMs which I occasionally still use to install unusual or handy utilities.

Stuartli 16:07 21 Jan 06

An audio CD and CD-R/CD-RW disks are quite different both in overall quality and methods of recording used.

Stuartli 16:09 21 Jan 06

I wouldn't agree with the views expressed in your link about using magnetic tape.

Leaving magnetic tape almost permanently tightly coiled causes as many problems as it was intended to solve...

jack 16:59 21 Jan 06

Certainly nothing is permanent seemingly but as stated in the link a manufactured'stamped' CD beit Augio/{C Data/DVD/or Cover dis is a different animal to the ones we'burn'
I wonder where photo CD's such s the Kodak type or the ones produced in Boots or ASDA for the digi photo market stand in all this

jakimo 19:23 21 Jan 06

As the IBM man is said to be an expert in the subject,his comments should not be disregarded.

His conclusions concerns me,as longevity is of the greatest importance as most of the disc's I burn are for the digi photo market,For this purpose I only use genuine Japanese "Taiyo Yuden" disc's,which as previously stated, are claimed (as some other brands) to last up to 100 years,so I have been in the belief that they were hopefully, at least equal to the life expectancy of the kodak photo disk.

I was aware that data on the very cheapest disc's could fail in as little as 1 yr. as I have experienced this myself, but did not expect this of highly regarded and expensive disc's

Stuartli 19:46 21 Jan 06

Taiyo Yuden is regarded as the Rolls-Royce of CD and DVD media and the small amount extra they cost over the No Name brands is an investment (you might almost say for life!).

See:

click here

for a full rundown on CD and DVD media quality, who makes it and who rebrands such products under their own name.

One of the pages is:

click here

hzhzhz 20:01 21 Jan 06

Ive just been out and bought some blank cdr's, A pack of memorex, and on reading the wrapper it says they are guaranteed for 2 years. I'll be using the link Stuartli has provided before I buy any more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…