Burn your drivers to Disc (Mesh owners and others)

silverous 22:12 05 Feb 07

Hi,

I'm thinking of rebuilding my Mesh PC. I had a spare SATA drive so I thought I'd put it in and use the recovery disk.

The re-install went find except when XP booted quite a number of devices weren't recognised. Key amongst them being the ethernet device which kind of rules out downloading the others if that is how you connect to the net.

Luckily I wasn't in a disaster situation and put my main hard disk back in, which is when I found the "Drivers" directory on the CD drive full of exactly what it says on the tin.

It probably tells you to burn this to disk somewhere in the documentation that comes with the machine but it would save this if the machine came with one. Now I know I've done it so I'm prepared if the worst happens. In reality you could get drivers via other means (e.g. a friend's net connection, from work etc.) but it introduces a delay and you have to find and download all the right drivers (or at least the ethernet one to get you started).

Just a suggestion.

jack 09:39 06 Feb 07

There is out there somewhere a free download that actually collects all your drivers to allow you to do this - I even had it on board once - If i can fid it I'll post it here.

Zero G 12:40 06 Feb 07

It's standard with all Mesh PC's to burn a copy of the drivers for your pc yourself and has been Mesh policy for at least 2 years.

There was a time when all the drivers came on a CD-ROM and included a local phone number for support, how time's have changed at Mesh!

Daibus 13:03 06 Feb 07

I think this programme could be what your looking for.

Daibus 13:04 06 Feb 07

Sorry - forgot the link.

click here

garrema 13:11 06 Feb 07

You should copy the drivers file to disc as one of the first things you do with a new delivery PC. Applies not just for Mesh IMO.

Then you can remove all the free trials of antispyfirewallISP cack they insist on you having.

MESH Support 14:10 06 Feb 07

Hi silverous,

It does.

The getting started sheet, an A3 sheet that is the first thing you see when opening the box has in a large font facing up, the advice to back up the drivers directory.

In case this is missed we also cover this in our support manual.

Zero G

Back in that day, the entire collection of drivers for an entire system took less space than a video driver does today. Back in that day, we could provide a CD that contained every driver for every component we did which meant all we had to do was create a single master disc. These days that isn't possible and the number of variations of systems we offer is greater than ever.

Davey

silverous 20:45 06 Feb 07

Davey,

Clearly I managed to miss it, its the last thing I expected to do when the PC arrived. The drivers all fit on a DVD - it is a shame Mesh don't see fit to burn them and provide a disk as other manufacturers do. How long does it take to burn the folder to a DVD when the machine has been built - minutes?

Regards,

Paul

MESH Support 10:29 07 Feb 07

Hi silverous,

Minutes at most.

I've been asked this question before and the problem is that the person asking rarely considers the process passed their own single system.

There are staff involved in the production of the system but a majority of the work is now done automatically.

The drivers are not installed by a person, they are scripted to install and the same script puts a copy of the driver used into the storage area. There is at that point no one present at the system to do the disc swapping.

There are other factors involved that make the implementation of what you suggest hard on a large scale. I'm sure we could redesign the production cycle to implement this somehow into the cycle, but realistically we're not going to close down our facility for a day or two to do this, especially when this is something that could simply be done personally by the owner.

At the end of the day to suggest that we could provide the disc is one thing, but the point is that the drivers are there to be backed up, and we provide ample notification that this needs to be done.

The problem that we're not discussing here is that the end-user is either the type of person who reads all of the documentation from top to bottom (and therefore we never hear from them about this problem), or the type of person who immediately puts aside the documentation aside and never reads it unless they absolutely must.

As a sort of compromise I must admit that I fall into the latter category myself.....

Davey

silverous 11:56 07 Feb 07

Clearly the "ample notification" isn't that ample as I managed to miss it. I flicked through the manual provided last night following your post and it wasn't immediately obvious to me - so I suggest it is fairly buried, it may be that it was in the 'recovery' section but who is going to read that on a working new PC.

I think to push the responsibility to do this onto the customer, who as you suggest, is unlikely to read a manual unless they have an issue - is not a great idea. Other manufacturers manage to supply drivers, why can't Mesh?

If your car manual said somewhere in the small print: "Spare tyre only available to customers who visit garage within first week of ownership and ask" how many drivers do you think would find themselves stranded?!

I certainly don't recall seeing anything about it on the quick start sheet and again, being proficient with PCs I generally don't need a quick start sheet to setup the PC.

I can see why you do it - it is a cost saving exercise, but I'm saying I don't think it is a good idea and I suggest that in a lot of cases it will result in disgruntled customers if they find themselves in a tight spot. Other manufacturers are able to do this, why not Mesh?

MESH Support 12:34 07 Feb 07

Hi silverous,

Can you name the other manufacturers who do this, that don't run off 1000 of the same system? Who can claim that each system is uniquely tailored to the customer's wishes?

I'm not trying to excuse ourselves on this one, your points have merit. The fact of the matter is that during support when the staff ask if the customer made the backup, the larger majority of the responses are affirmative. If the notice for them to do it isn't clear enough then why did they do this?

It is about cost saving at the end of the day, I'd be a fool to try and claim otherwise. The question is how much does it cost the end-user to perform the same task? One that would no doubt increase the cost of production were it implemented now.

I appreciate your feedback on this one, it's good to get your opinion on the matter.

Davey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…