Building a new system advice please..

MarkDean 13:25 14 Apr 14

I know this is a pretty generic question but here goes...

I need to seriously get a new , this is my current setup, it's old now...

AMD Athlon 62 X2 Dual Core 4600+ (2.41 Ghz) 2Gb Memory ASUS MSI M2N4 SLI Motherboard Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT

I do some gaming ( Star Trek Online) which the graphics are lagging badly now on my . I also use PhotoShop a fair bit too.

So, with a budget of £400 for a total new system including case etc, can anyone give me a few suggestions for decent components so I can build a new faster system?

I have a 1Tb external HD and several SATA drives, but not opposed to a brand new SSD HD to speed up access times. I can also re use my DVD writer, it's just the tower I need to build.

xania 13:18 16 Apr 14

Unless you really want to get a replacement case, save some money by reusing the old one. You might also want to save money by reusing the motherboard and putting as much as you can afford into a new more powerful graphics card - others may be better able to advise which ones.

You don't mention which operating system you are using but, unless you are still on XP, your first target should be an increase in RAM to at least 4 GB (this MB will take up to 8 GB and you have 4 slots in all).

You don't mention RAM speed but your MB will take DDR2-800/667/533 - check what you have and you may do better to scrap the old and replace.

mart7 15:01 16 Apr 14

What about a pre built unit,this ones slightly over budget but a good spec

click here

mart7 15:02 16 Apr 14

You will need to buy an operating system unless you already have one you can install on a new pc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…