building a cheap PC

peg leg 09:41 13 Feb 05

Hi everyone.

My pc is beginning to be hard work,with only 3.2GB of hard drive and a maximum of 256 ram it is beginning to be hard work to do anything on it.

I would like to build my own,armed with Scott Mueller's exellent book, I am willing to give it a go!

What I would really like to do is to build a cheapish unit,but not skimping on things like the motherboard, so as I can upgrade it at a later date as technolodgy and my finances improve.

I know that a lot of you are very knowledgable on pc build and build your own, so I would welcome any advice that you can give me.

I could go to as much as £500 as long as I could upgrade at a later date to improve the specs.

Thank you in advance

pegleg

fuzzyone 09:46 13 Feb 05

peg leg,

click here

may be a good place for you to try.

All machines and parts have already been tested for compatibility, and the company is well known and respected.

TomJerry 10:06 13 Feb 05

"build" your own is really fun, but you will not expect to save much becuase big box shifters can get stuff cheaperly, also you have to put up with potential problems as well

Maybe you can start with Barebone system

a few good on-line sellers I would use myself

Ebuyer click here

Microdirect click here

Novatech click here

Overclock click here

Overclockers click here

watford electronics click here

dabs click here

bananaslik 10:39 13 Feb 05

Hi peg leg another place that you can go are computer shows,you can pick things up for far less than you pay in the shops.They also do bundles which are usually good value.
Try to find out if there is one near to you,ask people who know a bit about computers,they might know of one-well worth a visit.Good luck..

Totally-braindead 12:04 13 Feb 05

Go ahead and try it if you want, but as others have said it can cost more than just buying a complete PC. If this is your first build I would suugest you buy a barebones system that is Mainboard, processor and memory or even one with a case as well. The reason for this is I've had problems in the past with memory in particular and if you buy one of these you at least know that the memory will work with the motherboard. If you want to go the full hog yourself then my advice is this. Start by getting a good quality power supply, next buy a well known make of motherboard and make sure it will take the newer processors. Get a board with SATA for the hard drives and PCI Express for the graphics and lastly go with Crucial for the memory go to here click here and get the memory for your motherboard once you've decided what your buying. This can be a lot of fun but can also be a lot of hassle that is why the bundles are a good place to start, they're cheaper than buying the bit seperately too.

961 12:59 13 Feb 05

I started with Scott Mueller's book and have never looked back, so, go for it.

The great advantage is that if it goes wrong you aren't into long telephone calls to expensive helplines. Remember that Scott has a web site too, with updates and answers to FAQ's

click here is useful

Unless you are after playing fast games a good spec to start is with AMD processor. Barton XP2500 in socket A is old hat now and ridiculously cheap, but it may be worth going for new 939 pin AMD and paying a little more.

There is a lot to be said for buying retail version AMD processors, which come with heatsink and fan and are little more expensive than OEM version

Novatech do some good bundles with motherboard, processor and memory already assembled if you feel you want a failsafe way to build your first. The advice given by Totally-bd (sure he ain't) is worth considering

Last bit of advice. Take your time, don't try to do too much at once, stop for a rest after an hour or so, and don't be afraid to delve into the cd/video that comes with Scott's book. Remember if you enter the code on the disk in the book into the website, these are all available online to you

josie mayhem 14:55 13 Feb 05

You'll already on the right road, just by posting here.

Building a computer isn't that difficult, the most difficult bit is deciding on what components you're are going to use. But saying that there is some-one on here who is always willing to help.

But try not to ask weather a AMD is better than the Intel, processor pasa, as this normanly sets of a long debate. But if you're asking weather the Pentimum is better for gaming than say the celeron, then the answer is a Pentimum, same goes with the AMD processors, an barton is lower down the scale against the newer 64 processors.

But be aware that building computers is a very adictive activity to get into.

peg leg 16:19 13 Feb 05

Thanks a lot all you guys.

I'm going to peruse the websites and check out prices etc.

I know that if I meet with problems there's a lot of great guys on this forum who I can turn to.

Thanks once again.

pegleg

ianathon 19:17 13 Feb 05

click here for Sony Foppy drive for £5. Also very good prices on many PC cables.

Totally-braindead 21:57 13 Feb 05

Not such a good deal ianathon click here £3.98 for the same thing, a Sony floppy drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…