Budget gaming system

JWHT 11:51 02 Jun 07

Lo all, I'm relatively to new to PC stuff and don't know the first thing when it comes to hardware etc, at the moment I have a mac mini and an old packard bell (athlon 3200xp nvidia fx5500) but I'm wanting to give vista a try and give gaming a go. My budget is very limited of about £400, I already have a monitor etc so I just need a tower.

I've come across click here as they seem to offer really good prices, I've been looking at this:

click here

Just wondering will the 8500gt card be enough to play most of the new games on medium-low settings, I don't expect to be able to use the best settings at this money but will it play new games for the time being? And is this the sort of thing I should be looking at or can I get better elsewhere?

I also found a website, click here and click here which have really good prices and seem to have been around for a few years but info on them is limited, and I'm a little weary by the fact the websites are so similar in terms of checkout, FAQ etc. I asked pcoption about this and they told me they had been copied and their solicitors were speaking to cougar about it, do you think its worth giving those two a go? Or should I go with cyberpowersystem? Any help appreciatted

wee eddie 12:31 02 Jun 07

Sorry.

I am not sure that those PCs available within your budget will even be able to play the old games because of compatibility problems with Vista.

I'm sure that I will be shot down in flames, but see myself as a realist which is not really helping you.

Starfox 15:33 02 Jun 07

Well if it helps i bought a gaming pc from Cougar-Extreme and it's brilliant, I can't speak highly enough of them.

As for checkout similarity they both use Roman Cart which is available to any business who cares to pay for it so I think I should ignore the solicitors bit.

Your money your choice but I can tell you that after searching for twelve months for a decent supplier I took the advice of someone on these forums to go with Cougar (click here) and so far it's the best advice I have ever had.

190119 16:02 02 Jun 07

I also followed the advice on these boards click here and went with Cougar, ordered Monday, delivered Friday of the same week, and it's a great piece of equipment.

The staff are very knowledgeable and helpful too so my recommendation is also for Cougar, if you do go with them I doubt you will be disapointed.

wee eddie 17:48 02 Jun 07

Neither of you has mentioned how much you spent on your new systems or what you got for the money.

in july i bought a compaq presario amd 3500 with 512mb and onboard 64mb/256 shared 6150le graphics after adding another 512 mb of ram it played
cod2
wow
half life2
fear
doom3
all at standard settings, i have since upgraded to a dual core with 8800 gtx graphics, the only difference is eye candy, you can get a pc without the monitor that will play games quite easily for £400 IMHO.

Starfox 18:08 02 Jun 07

For me,

Intel Core2 Duo E6600
250gb Sata Hard drive
4gb kingston DDR 667 memory
8800gts Nvidia Graphics card 640mb
Floppy drive
2x Samsung Writemaster DVD+/-RW optical drives
X-Cruiser black gaming case
650 watt Blue led PSU
19" Hanns.G TFT Monitor
Integrated sound
Standard silver keyboard
Predator gamer mouse optical
Windows XP home (I did not want Vista)
AVG and Zonealarm included

£955 delivered,an absolute delight of a machine to use, very quick and super quiet.Ordered Wednesday and delivered Tuesday of the following week and no complaints so far.

Starfox 18:13 02 Jun 07

Although my pc is outside of JWHT's budget it should be possible for him to get a decent gaming machine for around £450, my colleague got one from Cougar for £437 and it plays all the latest games, just not at best settings. I will find out what he got for his money if JWHT is interested.

sorry, just noticed the vista bit! the pc's i recommended were with xp in mind. i tried vista and games and didnt work at all for me, on a top end machine. have reverted to xp myself for a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…