AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…
I am new here and hope I am posting in the correct forum.
Some years ago I built my first Desktop and it has served me very well (A7N8X, AMD XP 2400+, 12024 RAM, Radeon 9500 AGP, XP Pro), but the time has come to upgrade.
Since I built there have been a lot of changes in Hardware (PCI-E, SLI, Dual Core etc.) and I know that I will not be building a new one. 1) I don't have the confidence and 2) It will cost me a lot more than buying off the shelf.
To be honest, since I built this PC I haven't really stayed abreast of developments - 18 months of WoW addiction will do that to you!
Having spent the past 2-3 weeks looking at magazines and online I am a bit confused. What I am looking for is a shortlist of up to 5 suggestions for my new PC.
The Processor must support SSE2 in order to be able to play the latest games - Medieval Total War 2 for example is unplayable on my current PC.
It must have good graphics
I'd like it to be upgradeable to Vista in 12 months or so. I am going to wait until Vista has been out for a while before I upgrade. There are bound to be a couple of Service Pack upgrades O.o
A Monitor is not necessary, but if incl it needs to be digital. There are a few nice ones on the Lowest on web website that I am interested in and I have a separate budget for that.
HDD - to be honest I don't need a huge disk. I am keeping this desktop as a home server/backup and will keep my music etc on it - ithas a 250GB Western Digital drive that works perfectly at.
Obviously I'd like the standard DVD R/RW etc.
I hope I have given enough information for you to be able to help me. If not, please ask and I will do my best to answer.
Thanks wjrt, that's a good suggestion.
try these and click gamer base units and you can configure what you like, had mine 6 weeks and am very pleased and just over the £1200 mark
Very nice looking site.
Which CPU/MoBo etc option did you go for?
I keep playing with the options and extras and spending too much - LOL
For that kind of money (no monitor) you can do very well indeed. Many offer a free Vista upgrade for a small delivery/processing fee.
May I suggest the minimum spec you should be aiming for:
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core
* Motherboard: Good quality to match the CPU
* Memory: 2Gb (2x 1Gb modules) of good quality RAM - PC5400/6400
* Graphics card: The best that falls within your budget
* OS: Windows XP Home/Pro/Media with free Vista upgrade
One example, from click here = £1999.99 incl VAT [includes the 5% rebate & free delivery]
* Case: CoolerMaster Mystique 632 Tower 420W Case (Black Color)
* PSU: Thermaltake W0093 TR2-500Watt Power Supply ATX 12V [went for a separate 'better' one?]
* CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
* Motherboard: (Quad-Core Supports) Intel DP965LT P965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394& 7.1Audio
* Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory with Heat Spreader
* Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
* Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive - 200GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
* Optical Drive 1: SONY DUAL FORMAT 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
* Optical Drive 2: SONY 16X DVD-ROM (BLACK COLOR)
* Sound: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE
* Speakers: Logitech X530 70Watts 5.1 Configuration Speaker System
* Keyboard & optical Mouse
* INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (Black colour)
* PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
* Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with SP2 & Free Upgrade to Windows Vista™ Business [info click here]
* STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Remember you may be able to get better for the same price at another site.
Windows Vista & games info/articles that may be of interest: click here, click here, click here, click here. G
Take away the monitor and upgrade the ram from here.
With a three year onsite warranty, cpu and graphics near the top end. click here
Also well within your budget.
Went for the core 2 duo 6600 MSI 975X PlatinumPowerup Edition Xfire ready,2gb pc6400 RAM the ATI 1950XTX (the new NVidia 8800 was not out at the time or would have gone with that) 2x 18 DVD-RW. sound blaster Audigy 4 and The XPlorer case with extra fans.
I was a bit sceptical about the ready in five days promise, but ready it was.
can not comment on their after sales service as have not yet needed to use it
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.