BT's lottery BB availability checker

square eyes 21:27 02 Oct 03

Hi,
I have recently moved and activated my bt line with a new number. I want to get ADSL but my number isn't confirmed to recieve broadband.
I know BB is available in my area and that the exchange has been updated.

When i try the number with the availabilty checker, it comes back with "no data available for this line". It then states that most new numbers appear on the availablity checker 24 hours later, BUT in "very" few cases it can take up to 6 weeks for confirmation! This seems unfair to be the one of the unlucky few, isn't my fault, and as a result i wont be able to take advantage of BT's offer with 1 months free, and free connection.

Is there another way around this or will it always come back to waiting patiently for BT to confirm the line?
Are there other companies out there that will insatll there own line for a reasonable cost??

thx for any comments

Forum Editor 22:33 02 Oct 03

but have you tried phoning BT about it?

14flashgordon 22:38 02 Oct 03

roughly 5km from telephone exchange, do any of your neighbours have BB. If oyur exchange has just been enabled/upgraded there might be a back log to get through. :)

square eyes 23:52 02 Oct 03

I have phoned BT, but i wanted really to know if there were other companies that will install a line fairly inexpensively.
I live bang in the center of a town (Lewes), so pretty sure im ok as there are bussiness and shops all around me. I just didn't want to wait up to 6 weeks especialy when most numbers are recognized within 24 hours. If im the unfortunate few, shouldn't they be trying to deal with the few with prority?

It seems that all other ISP's cant help until BT has confirmed the line, it almost feels like its done on purpose for some silly reason.

Would i be right in thinking this or can other ISP's get things sorted out alot quicker?

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:58 02 Oct 03

'Would i be right in thinking this or can other ISP's get things sorted out alot quicker?'...in short, no. All BB lines are run by BT, apart from cable companies (NTL and Telewest). The ISPs have little or no say in the implementation. If your neighbours do not have BB then you will not be able to get it. Relax and wait for the coming, you will not expire due to lack of BB.

G

square eyes 00:33 03 Oct 03

"If your neighbours do not have BB then you will not be able to get it." The post code check has qualified me for BB so my neighbours situation is irrelavant. The thing i wanted to know is that all broadband lines are BT lines so i cant avoid the wait, thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:39 03 Oct 03

I think that I answered your question in my reply....'All BB lines are run by BT, apart from cable companies (NTL and Telewest)'.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…