BT Yahoo Broadband

Forum Editor 11:00 27 Sep 03

BT OpenWorld broadband customers will all be receiving a letter about now, informing them of the 'upgrade' to BT Yahoo broadband that is available to them at the click of a mouse.

This is a free upgrade - all you have to do is confirm your details online and you're suddenly a BT Yahoo customer. Narrowband customers will get a similar letter soon, and eventually all BT internet customers will become BT Yahoo customers - like it or not. There's nothing wrong with this per se, you still get the same broadband access at the same price, but you're encouraged to download a connection wizard which will customise your browser and provide spam filtering/pop-up stoppers etc.

I'm interested to find out how you get on with this, particularly if you inatall the connection wizard (you don't have to do this when you upgrade), and what your experience is if/when you phone the technical helpline. So far I have spoken to two of my clients who have made the upgrade today, and they both report that the helpine number rings incessantly without any answer (no recorded message of apology or reassurance - just a ringing tone) which isn't a particularly auspicious beginning.

-pops- 11:19 27 Sep 03

I have already posted a thread expressing my disappointment with this "innovation". Nothing has happened since installing this to cause me to change my opinion. The BT Yahoo icon sits on my desktop used occasionally only to access the BT Yahoo spam trap which, although claiming to be new and improved, appears exactly as it was before the merger. It doesn't collect any more spam than it used to as I have just the same amount of the particularly revolting stuff leaking through to be stopped by Mailwasher.

Brian

mikef. 11:45 27 Sep 03

I downloaded it yesterday, with no problems so far, and am now using a combination of the new browser and IE6, whose connection I kept on my desktop and choose to make as my default connection, if you choose the small icons and change the colour it's not to bad, HOWEVER, there are certain things that can not be used on it, in particular ieSpell which, with my spelling, I need when on sites like this.

Things that I like, is you have an almost limitless choice on what to put on your home page and the pop up stopper and unlike -pops- my spam blocker seems to block the revolting emails.

But until all the bugs have been ironed out it will be a bit of both.

Colin 12:55 28 Sep 03

I installed BT Yahoo as soon as it was available.
It looks very nice and the popup stopper is good. However, I don't think that it is essential. I think BT are trying to go like AOL.
I still use the normal IE connection from time to time as it appears to run quicker, but that might just be me. I still prefer to use Outlok Express rather their e-mail service.
I have no experience of their helpline as I have never needed to use it. I have had BTOpenworld BroadBand since August 2002 and never had a problem with it. Likewise, with their normal dial up service before that.

lucky1 20:21 07 Jan 04

Just been advised that, whether I like it or not, I will have to 'transfer' to the 'new' BT Yahoo set-up in the 'next few months'. Apparently it includes email virus detection and a firewall. I've emailed them asking if these will conflict with my existing NAV virus and firewall applications. I await their response with interest !

The Spires 21:43 07 Jan 04

I 'upgraded' a month or so ago but didn't bother downloading the enhancements as I use Opera 90% of the time anyway. The new login on the homepage works ok & as long as BT leave me be I will continue to use the broadband service which has been first class. I use the BT virus checker on my POP mail which hasn't let a single virus through, but I do not want any of the other free software.

loxmede 22:24 07 Jan 04

Is BT a reliable isp provider? i am just about to move over to their broadband service.

Netjuice 22:50 09 Jan 04

Dear 'loxmede'

I believe BT are reliable but then so are a number of others. Consider Tiscali for example;
Voted best ISP for 2003 by 'InternetMadeEasy' magazine, current offers include:

512k 24.99/mth - no connection fee 256k 19.99/mth - £25 connection 150k 15.99/mth - free setup

Plus, if you want to get in touch with me I can offer a further £25 cashback to the first 8 people who sign up at click here (email me for details)

Hope this is of interest.

Forum Editor 22:59 09 Jan 04

Is this an official Tiscali forum presence then Netjuice?

bab5 00:40 10 Jan 04

Netjuice,

Are you getting paid by Tiscali to advertise for them?? or am i reading the link in the wrong way??

Darran

Sir Radfordin 01:30 10 Jan 04

If you look at the link given by Netjuice (click here) you will see this:

What does the Tiscali Network business involve?

The Tiscali Network business is simple to understand and involves doing just two things:

1. Recommend and gather a few customers to Tiscali's Internet and phone services

2. Recommend the Tiscali Network business to others who gather a few loyal customers themselves

I've seen adverts in local job websites from Tiscali wanting people to get others to join up. It's as described an affiliate scheame. click here and there is more on setting up as a Tiscali Network Independent Business Associate and start your own home-based Tiscali Network business, working with one of the largest Internet communications companies in Europe.

My advice (no offence Netjuice) would to think very carefully about how you sign up to any ISP and who may be getting money for their recommendations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…