BT Yahoo 8MB Broadband

Colin 21:04 07 Apr 06

I am currently on 2MB BT Yahoo Broadband and know that my exchange has been upgraded to provide an 8MB service. I have been patiently waiting for the upgrade e-mail from BT but have heard nothing. Just by chance I read on The Register website click here that you have to re-register to get it. click here I have done this and my upgrade is due to be effective from 13 April. A second point, which may mean a new thread, is that BT recommend a router instead of a USB modem to receive the higher speeds. I currently use a ZOOM ADSL USB modem. Can anyone recommend a router, wireless or ethernet? My PC is stand alone and will not be networkedd. Thanks

Harpur 22:08 07 Apr 06

try the belkin wireless modem router it doesn't drop a line and the wireless is reletively easy to setup

€dstowe 22:26 07 Apr 06

On the BT 8Mb registration site there is a list of recommended routers.

Colin 22:37 07 Apr 06

Thanks, Harpur & £dstowe. I saw the BT recommended one. I will look at reviews for both.

Colin 12:18 08 Apr 06

I've looked at both products and am confused. I assume that as well as the wireless router I also need a interface card for my PC? I see that there are PCI cards and USB interface cards, which seem the easier option. AS BT don't recommend a USB modem for the higher speeds, will a USB inteface card also be less efficient? So that I don't need to buy the components seperately, I have looked for an all inclusive package, but can't seem to find one.

only down side is that those signing up(btinternet customers) to the faster speed will be tied in to a new 12 month contract.

nkosi 22:24 08 Apr 06

Thanks for this info. I'm on BT 2Mb and due to the distance from the exchange I only get 1Mb. Following up your tip I have upgraded to 8Mb for the same price and I should get 3.5Mb so I'm very pleased. Thank you.
As for the router, BT were offering a Voyager 2091 for £10 as part of the package - perhaps you can you still get that added on? It's fantastic value and I have used a Voyager 2100 for 2 years and it has been faultless. Yes you will need a wireless transmitter/receiver for your PC. A USB is easier but they do seem to be a bit less reliable. I have a PCI card (also BT)in my desktop and it was nearly as easy to fit as a USB. Take the cover off the PC, plug into a spare PCI slot and that's it. You have a little arial at the back which communicates with the router. Both components come with a software disk which makes installation a breeze.

Dipso 22:38 08 Apr 06

You say you have a stand alone PC which won't be networked. You don't really need a wireless modem/router in that case. There is a review of the Speedtouch click here

An ethernet connection is much less problematic, no software or drivers are required and ethernet is made for networking unlike USB. If your PC doesn't already have an ethernet connection, don't be put off having to install one, it's very easy.

Wired connections are preferable to wireless as they are more secure and more stable.

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router which Amazon do for about £60, the wired version can be bought for around £50. I would recommend them for ease of set up.

nkosi 23:09 08 Apr 06

Yes, I agree that an ethernet connection would be more solid. But if you don't have an ethernet card in your PC you'll still have to fit one and install it with software. Exactly the same procedure as with a wireless PCI card (still very easy). I was faced with the same decision and decided to go wireless for flexibility and the option of adding to the network. As my son now has a laptop it was a good decision. The speedtouch in the link is priced at £139 in 2002 which is a bit pricey compared to BT's £10 router offer. Most wireless routers have several ethernet connections anyway so you don't have to use the wireless facility. With my Voyager router we use the PC, laptop, Sony PSP and Nintendo DS wirelessly and the PS2 through an ethernet lead - options!

Dipso 23:22 08 Apr 06

I didn't refresh before posting and saw your post after I had submitted mine. No replies for 3 1/2 hours then 2 come along :)

The review of the Speedtouch is rather dated but gives Colin an idea of how it works.

nkosi 23:29 08 Apr 06

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…