BT prices rise yet again

961 17:10 21 Jul 10

click here

Note especially the rise in the "call set up fee" which many customers still do not take into account

For example, if you phone someone and leave a message on an answerphone system, or the person you are calling is not available and you need to call again, you'll pay for the time of the call plus a fairly hefty set up fee which can easily double the total cost

And if you are in the habit of dialling 1471 and then pressing 3 to return the call, the cost of that service is going up by 25%

Terry Brown 21:03 21 Jul 10

Currently 1471 is 12.2p per minute + connection charge.

It is better to dial it yourself.
Terry

961 09:15 22 Jul 10

"It is better to dial it yourself"

Absolutely. BT is relying on our disinclination to dial ourself instead of simply pressing 3

The new charge for this is

16.5p per minute, plus 10.9p connection charge

In other words a five minute call will cost over 93p

And on top of all this the charges will rise again in January as the vat element increases to 20%

ronalddonald 13:46 22 Jul 10

im thinking of going to to talk talk and i hope bt lose customers over this its getting too costly to be with them in this day and age.

their broadband is expensive their engineers are expensive and now everything to do with them is expensive.

I 3wonder what he bt member of pc advisor has to say about this

interzone55 15:12 22 Jul 10

get a decent phone with Caller ID and there's no need to ever use 1471.

If you sign up for BT Privacy and make at least two chargeable calls a month BT Privacy is FOC.

The likes of Talk Talk are cheaper than BT because they have no need to spend a penny upgrading the network.

The new 21CN is costing billions, and the money has to come from somewhere, if everyone moved away from BT we'd be in deep doodoo...

sunnystaines 20:32 22 Jul 10

there cant be many bt users around these days as so many ISP's offer a far better deal.

CurlyWhirly 20:43 22 Jul 10

I am now in the process of moving my phone line to O2 (I already have my broadband with them) as I'm fed up of BT's rising prices all the time.

I saw click here which was the final straw.

I will save around £80 by switching to O2 so it's well worth doing so and I'm no longer in contract with BT.

I may be cynical but I wonder if the latest line rental rise of 50p is to make up for them losing the controversial broadband tax announced by the previous Labour government which the coalition government has now scrapped ?

Another possibility is that it could be to help finance the pay rise that BT announced after a threatened strike by the CWU ?

CurlyWhirly 20:45 22 Jul 10

" And on top of all this the charges will rise again in January as the vat element increases to 20% "
---------------------------------------------------
I forgot about this :(

I think the coalition government was wrong to increase VAT but I realise the state of the public finances !

CurlyWhirly 20:49 22 Jul 10

" The new 21CN is costing billions, and the money has to come from somewhere, if everyone moved away from BT we'd be in deep doodoo... "
---------------------------------------------------
We still pay something to BT as the part of BT that deals with the UK phone network is BT Openreach and this division must have quite a high turnover ?

KremmenUK 07:00 23 Jul 10

I'd think twice before moving from BT. A work colleague moved from BT and some time later had a line fault.

Because the fault had to be reported via the third party company (Easytalk) it took just over 2 weeks to get it sorted.

A few months ago when my line developed a fault it was fixed the next day.

961 10:08 23 Jul 10

KremmenUK makes a valid point, and it's worth remembering that the saving on line rental is usually very small - around £1 a month

BT usually aim to fix faults by the end of the second working day. Report a fault on Monday, it should be fixed by end of Wednesday but often gets done faster than that

The difficulty is that if your line goes down you've got to find some way of reporting to the third party rental co. It obviously can't be you normal broadband or phone. You can ring the telco by mobile but that won't be cheap, and BT certainly won't be interested in hearing from you direct

Sky aim to fix "by the end of 5 working days" Allow for a weekend in this and you are indeed well over a week

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…