BT price increases

beeuuem 17:05 23 Jan 09

In these hard times it is good to see that BT are aware of the problems facing the public at large and pricing accordingly.

Call set up fee up 17% on 16th January 2009. Still they did advise me of this increase - on 23rd January 2009

Other increases are from 1st April 2009
Rental up 8.7%

Call charges up 8.6%

Call features up 25% for 1
38% for 2 to 4
43% for 5+

Not that it is all bad news. There will be free calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers on Saturday and Sunday from 16th January .
And international calls will be reduced dramatically on the 1st April 2009. For example calls to SA down by 0.03%, to the USA by 0.076% and to Afghanistan by 0.01%.

Who says they don't care?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:07 23 Jan 09

You can change supplier.

G

oresome 17:14 23 Jan 09

Reading about this in another forum, one contributor noted that the price increases were described by BT as changes, whereas reductions were of course trumpeted.

beeuuem 17:53 23 Jan 09

Quite true. But that would mean changing my BB supplier from Be.
As have no 'calling features' and my call charges to BT for this quarter are 63p and for the last quarter were 85p I don't think they are getting rich out of me. If their prices were more reasonable I would contribute more to their coffers.
I was merely identifying that while inflation is supposedly 3.1% BT and others are quite happy to increase prices dramatically and then wonder why their profits are declining and nobody loves them.

anniesboy 18:28 23 Jan 09

Plus Friends & Family reduction ceases in April.

BT 08:40 24 Jan 09

Virgin call charges are also being increased.

Stuartli 20:52 24 Jan 09

BT keeps imploring me to "come back" because the grass on the other side may not be as green as I expected - the offer is for free evening and weekend calls included with line rental.

Well I can assure BT that the grass on the other side (with TalkTalk International AnyTime package) is, indeed, very much greener and, what's more, a darn sight cheaper....:-)

What's more, BT still provides the line from the exchange to my home and is responsible for it.

CurlyWhirly 12:54 25 Jan 09

I'm moving to the Post Office (for my calls and line rental) in April when my 12 month BT Unlimited Anytime plan runs out.

I can save nearly £7 a month by doing so and it won't affect my O2 broadband service either!

CurlyWhirly 13:00 25 Jan 09

"Quite true. But that would mean changing my BB supplier from Be."
--------------------------------------------------
I can't see how as Be (O2) don't provide a phone service?

I'm with O2 LLU and I don't think that changing my line rental and call charges to the Post Office will alter this or will it?

beeuuem 13:07 25 Jan 09

According to click here
Do I still need to pay BT for phone line rental?

You need to have a BT line to enjoy our ludicrously fast service, and your line rental and call charges will still be billed directly from BT (as before your Be service provision).

oresome 14:14 25 Jan 09

Where BT still have the monopoly is in the provision of a new line.

As far as I can see, no service provider can start from scratch. They all need an existing service to transfer from.

So the problem arises if you move to a new house, or a house with either a ceased or none existent telephone line. BT will of course install the line, but require a minimum contract period which makes moving from BT expensive within that time frame.

You may still have a contracted period remaining with the supplier at the old address, yet they cannot provide a service at the new without an existing BT landline. A bit of a catch 22.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple