BT or a coincidence?

simonp1 19:28 05 Jun 03

When i first started to sign up for BB, Bt asked me to join theirs, no thanks i said. After i signed up on Zen, 3 weeks later still no BB. Zen kept telling me its BT' fault, in which time BT called me to see if i wanted BT's BB no thanks i said.

After 3 weeks i decided Enough was enough and dealt direct with BT to address the " line problems" and after much fobbing off i finaly got someone to fix it. Within 5 mins i was up and running ( some line problem).

4 happy weeks with Zen no problems at all until today. Rang Bt to discuss a new business line at home. Got through to residential by mistake who seemed more concered about by BB conection and would i change, no thanks i said. Would i use BT for my business line, no thanks i said.

After popping out,( 20 mins later) logged back on and my BB and conection was so slow i thought it was back to dial up days. Zen did a system check and found it was well below any BB conection rate and said it is down to Bt again..

My point, why is it, after speaking to BT ( on both times) and turning down their bb offers, my bb suddenly stops working????

Am i paranoid or are Bt trying to make a point here or is it just a coincidence....

Has anyone else come across these problems??? your thoughts please.

Forum Editor 21:53 05 Jun 03

you're probably being paranoid, and yes, it's a coincidence.

All broadband services originate with BT - they sell the service to ISPs via BT Wholesale. If there's a problem with your connection, and your ISP says it's being caused by BT they may or may not be right. If they are right it's possibly an exchange fault, or something wrong with your line.

It certainly isn't somebody at BT deliberately slowing your broadband connection to make a point.

simonp1 07:45 06 Jun 03

You are probably right and it is just bad luck. A few slow emails last night and all seems well again. As a newbe to bb im not used to "slow downs" or other problems. Well i need to deal with Bt quite alot in the next few weeks, so i will keep my paranoia hidden.

graham√ 09:16 07 Jun 03

You're not the first to suggest BT would deliberately slow a connection for commercial reasons. They are a massive company, the chances of someone in sales and marketing being able to influence an engineering matter is just not possible, especially given the fact that 'slowing down' would be a major technical undertaking in itself. Even if it was possible, who would want to stick their neck out at no gain for themselves? No, it's just not going to happen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…