BT Openworld Direct - e-mails

Vinty 20:50 13 Sep 03

I moved from BT Openworld anytime to Pay as you go when I got BT Broadband. This was to keep my e-mail address. Recently BTOW started BTOW Direct for Broadband users to continue using their e-mail address. It has 2 options: a) basic - which uses BT's own e-mail program or b) Premium @ £1.50 per month - which appears to insist on using Outlook Express. As I have just purchased MS Office XP which has Outlook as it's e-mail program I would prefer to use this.

After a long call to BT Internet technical assistance I was eventually told that I may have problems getting/sending e-mails if I tried to use Outlook. Has anyone else got this problem? OR can anyone give me a snail mail address for BT Internet to which I can make a strong complaint. Contact via the Website is apparently impossible.

whybe 00:28 14 Sep 03

I changed to Openworld Broadband about a year ago. At the time I didn't know (read) that they didn't support Outlook XP or in fact IE 6 (only up to 5.5). I having been using both now since start and only had one problem when my OS packed up and needed reloading. Not BT's fault but their operative when I needed to set up Broadband said, 'We don't support Outlook, but if you click this and this...' I was lucky but you can probably sort any problems out yourself, especially with the help of this forum. I'm now battling with BT Yahoo! but that's another story.

Forum Editor 01:58 14 Sep 03

are saying you may get problems if you use Outlook. I can see no reason why this should be so - your mail will come via the BT POP3 server, which shouldn't care which email client calls it for mail.

Have you actually tried to use Outlook? BT staff may not support it, but that doesn't matter - we do, and we'll almost certainly help you out if you run into problems.

As FE states, you will have no problem using Outlook with BT. I have two mail accounts with them and have always used Outlook (not Express) inluding Outlook 2003 Beta.

Simply run the add new email account wizzard, enter your details (User name, password) and set the servers to pop3.btopenworld.com and smpt.btopenworld.com and you are away - no problems.

kinger 20:30 21 Sep 03

I've been using Outlook, right up to the latest version, for always.

Works fine with BT anytime and, now with BT Openworld Broadband. I love 'em!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…