BT Infinity and line attenuation

Simon Sudbury 16:49 26 Nov 10

Hi

Currently have Sky Unlimited package (Just TV and Broadband not calls)and get about 3.5Mbs due to my distance from our exchange. Can't recall exact figure but line attenuation is about 52 I think.

Our exchange has been enabled and I can now get BT Infinity with FTTC etc.My neighbour tells me that he's getting over 20Mb despite attenuation. He's not a liar but I would like someone to clarify to what extent Fibre Optic overcomes line attenuation in my case.

It should be a no brainer for about £3 a month extra even if I only get about 10Mb download etc.

I'm just a bit suspicious.

Many thanks

"I would like someone to clarify to what extent Fibre Optic overcomes line attenuation in my case".

Almost completely. That is, among other things, the beauty of using Fibre Optic cable over copper cable.

uk-wizard 17:22 26 Nov 10

The fibre goes to your local cab - big green box - and then it's down to telephone cables for the last few hundred yards. Speed should be what is advertised. I wish they would do my exchange, I can get 1.5mbs on a good day with the wind blowing in my direction!

Simon Sudbury 19:51 26 Nov 10

Many thanks

It's just that I wouldn't want the hassle of transferring ISPs if the speed was only marginally quicker or the drop outs were much worse due to the higher speeds.

The fact is that Sky have been slow but extremely reliable. You can leave the internet on for days without losing the connection. Is that the experience folk have with BT?

Al94 22:28 26 Nov 10

No, I switched to Infinity in September after years of constant but slow broadband. I get about 20mbs now as a rule but have had several "outages" due to network problems over the past few weeks, the latest being for a couple of hours yesterday morning and the worst for two days last month.

Simon Sudbury 08:25 30 Nov 10

Thanks

This is what worries me. Guess the jury is still out on BT until they get their act together. Also assume it's a Bangalore call centre just like Sky!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…