BT emails non-delivery

cleddau77 20:27 25 Sep 03

I've used BT Internet without email problems (apart from their insistence on CLI and their blocking if not BT line) for 7 years.
I recall earlier this year something in computer press that some ISPs were blocking emails because of a security non-compliance at BT.

The vast majority of emails still get through. The problem is with the ISPs that do not receive my emails there is no mail rejected msg so I am unaware that msgs have not got through. I have been able to receive incoming msgs from these ISPs even though they don't receive mine.

I send & receive using my own domain name with Outlook 2000 SP3. Today I set Outgoing server requires authentication and I can now send to ISPs that previously could not receive but now they cannot send to me. i.e. problem reversed.

As there was no problem until earlier this year, is there anyone who can
1) Explain what is happening &
2) Come up with a fix other than changing from BT.

Djohn 20:45 25 Sep 03

I'm sorry to say that it's not just BT. AOL are also doing this and I believe Freeserve, and maybe others as well. I don't know why they are doing this, except for the reasons I have read about so far.

It is alleged that the major ISP's are at times blocking large amounts of incoming mail in an attempt to deal with "Spam". Just how they come to use this method of dealing with it, is beyond me. Regards. j.

cleddau77 19:23 26 Sep 03

Found the following reason why the incoming email was blocked.
Query bl.spamcop.net - 137.118.129.9
137.118.129.9 is mail.volcano.net
i.e Spamcop has blocked every user on that CalifornianISP.

I then tried to raise a query with my Domaain name host from my ISP BT and lo and behold it got blocked by another Spam blocker because the dynamicall allocated IP adress had been used by a spammer in the past.
Sorbs
194.73.73.148 found in Database of servers sending to spamtrap addresses

Address or Block 194.73.73.148 / 32

Description Subject: Forget the doctor, get prescriptions prescribed for free

Entry Created Mon May 26 00:29:47 2003 GMT

Entry Last Seen Mon May 26 00:29:47 2003 GMT

Spam Seen From 194.73.73.148
Currently active and flagged to be published in DNS.

At this rate, not knowing whether email has been received or not, email is going to be unuseable. As a business, I prefer receiving spam I can delete and know that emails are being delivered!

This is not progress!

Djohn 22:36 26 Sep 03

I agree and hope the ISP's have it sorted soon It's frustrating enough waiting for a reply to e-mail, but not knowing if it's been allowed through is even worse. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…