BT e-mail addresses

Me 12:24 03 Apr 03

I've recently started using BT broadband and I continued to use my old e-mail addresses. All went well for couple of weeks then my outgoing e-mails were blocked. Is this a ploy to make me use a BT e-mail address and if so does it contravene the monopolies regulations? I've just heard from BT that I don't exactly have to use BT but I must use "one of their providers".
I would prefer to keep my present addresses.

Forum Editor 22:52 03 Apr 03

since it started, and have consistently used my own (non BT) email address. There's never been any suggestion of 'blocking' my outbound mail, and if it ever happened I would make the most almighty fuss.

There's no question of the Monopoly regulations being involved, but I know of no BT rule that says you must use 'one of their providers' - whatever that might mean.

Me 00:46 04 Apr 03

I've since learned that it's not BT that's blocking my outgoing mails, it's my previous service provider, apparently because they are no longer gettting revenue from me. Mind you I don't know how they did before, as it was a free service.Part of the local call cost perhaps? Ah well, new e-mail address I suppose.

korkyB 08:51 04 Apr 03

No such thing as a free service, yep they do get a cut of the local call cost.

pepe 13:46 06 Apr 03

For just this reason. years ago I registered with, which is a free forwarding service. When you register you get a free ([email protected]) address, which forwards mail to any other address. Now when I change ISP, I simply go to bigfoot and change where I want the mail to forward to. Therefore the address is permanant, whatever the ISP you choose to use. I believe there are other sites that also provide these services for free

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…