BT Broadband 'Update' Options - Confused

gplatt2000 15:40 08 May 04

Hi all! i have just been looking through BT's 'Update' leaflet (oops just looked and it says April 2004, so sorrry if Im a bit behind but I didnt see any posts about this on the forum). I currently have the Bt Yahoo Broadband package, at £30 per month.

However, the 'Bt Broadband Basic' option seems fine to me, at the same speed for £19.99 per month. (Im not concerned about havin their email acount/support line). However, what I am concerned about is that one of the features is 'Share broadband with more than one PC?' and it says 'NO' for Bt Broadband Basic.

I havent got a clue about networking, but was thinking of maybe getting a second computer at some point and would like them to be networked, using the same connections. What I dont understand is, how does this package not let you have networked computers? or could it just be that they actually mean 'BT network' and the Broadband Basic package doesnt have support for some BT products needed for networking? Sorry if Im sounding stupid here, as I said I really dont know anything about networking.

Another think I am concerned about is the '1GB Data transfer limit' - do all BT's packages have this, and if not, would the change affect me?

Thanks a lot for any help

Gavin

Mister Splendid 19:26 08 May 04

Can't help with the networking issue. The 1GB monthly limit only applies to the Basic package. The 1Mbps service that I use has a 1GB daily limit.

Mister Splendid 19:34 08 May 04

Just looked on BT website, The 1GB daily limit also applies to the standard 521Kbps service as well as the 1Mbps service. Only the Bradband Basic service has the 1GB monthly limit.

ayrmail 21:27 08 May 04

It says the same on my Blueyonder cable BB agrement. But it dose work in my case so I assume it means they wont support it or that you could not plug 2 pc's directly into their modem.

gplatt2000 23:46 08 May 04

yeah thats what I was thinking (about the networking issue). The 1GB limit is beginning to worry me a bit as I do use the internet a LOT - does it affect sites loading, not just downloads? Also, does it include uploads?

thanks again

Chronos 09:36 09 May 04

I have both PC.s in use 24 hours a day on a wireless link on the BT BB, you would have to go some to download a GB of data, and they both work fine.....

Mister Splendid 09:42 09 May 04

1GB per month is I think likely to be restrictive unless you do very little downloading, just surfing and email. 1GB per day is another matter. I often download games and game demos, sometimes 100s of MBs, and never get near the 1GB daily limit on the service I use.

wee eddie 14:18 09 May 04

I have a similar ?

Most of my surfing is done on my old PC at home.

However, I keep my Laptop/work totally separate, and would like to be able to plug it in to the Broadband Connection, now and again.

I won't go into the reason for the separation of the two, but have no intention of networking them ever again. It caused nothing but expensive problems.

The big QUESTION.

If you have a BT Broadband Connection, can you plug whichever computer you like into the supplied Modem?

Bandy 17:19 09 May 04

In response to Wee Eddie my daughter has bt broadband and we have a number of computers on which broadband has been installed and connect the modem to them depending upon which computer we wish to use on broadband.

steven_frost 18:46 12 May 04

I spoke to BT about this the guy on the phoine said and i qoute " how can we tell if you network your pc's and share the broadband line" i know what he means the modem has the main ip address for the broadband then you have your pc ip addresses so bt would never kno this would they

Forum Editor 19:18 12 May 04

BT will have no way of knowing if you share your broadband connection between your two computers. What they are concerned about is bandwidth - and that will be capped at 1Gb a month on the lower cost connection. Provided that's not a worry to you there's no problem, as long as you don't phone the help line and ask for assistance with anything that involves a network issue, because you'll get nowhere.

wee eddie - yes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…