BT Broadband have forced me to leave.......

I have just had the most amazing and unbelievable conversation with BT Broadband. It went something like this ?

?I have been on your Broadband service for two years now and as we are moving house, I would like to organise the new line to be activated?

?Yes Sir, let me give you the email address [etc] ? What you have to do is write to them and tell them the date you want to cease the account at your current home?

?OK, that is easy enough?

?You then have to wait FIVE DAYS before you can REQUEST your new line to be activated?

?Hang on, you mean I will be five days without a connection??

?No Sir, it will be longer than that, we cant begin to activate the line until we receive your activation request and this has to be five days after your cease date?

?OK, so you are telling me that I have to wait five days from the cease date and then ask for an activation which will take how long??

?A new line activation will take between ten to fourteen days?

So, as an existing customer of nearly two years, I will have to wait THREE WEEKS before I can be back online with BT??

?Yes Sir?

?Tell BT they have just lost a customer?

Now, I can understand that BT don?t want to activate a line if the house move falls through, but surely, I commit myself to buying this new house the moment I exchange contracts. Why cant I then order (and activate) the new line at this point so that the transfer of my account details can begin as soon as the original cease date occurs? I could understand a five day wait for activation, but not three weeks!

The solution? I will today register with a new ISP and have a new account activated. This should be ready (and enabled) when I move in and I will loose no time in getting connected.

Any ideas as to ISP?s welcome and any comments on what appears to be a deliberate attempt to loose customers on behalf of BT are also welcome!!!

Djohn 11:09 24 Sep 03

It does sound ridicules doesn't it. ZEN are highly recommended as a Broadband provider and consistently come top of the list in test for, speed, reliability, and customer care. They also quote a time of five days from placing order to delivery of modem and account going live.

click here for ZEN, and click here for the ADSL guide to providers. If you click on the "Compare" button, left of screen you can compare as many ISP's as you wish. ZEN seems to come top in each category each month. Good luck with the move, hope all goes well for you. Regards. j.

tbh72 11:13 24 Sep 03

I'm with freeserve BB, they have been faultless for the 17 months I have been on BB. The biggest grumble I have with FS is their slow roll out of new services. So long as your happy to be last in your neighbourhood to have new technology. I would love to upgrade to a 1mb service, but FS are dragging their feet.

Thanks Djohn, appreciate the advice and I was just looking at the ADSL guide and thinking of Nildram 1Mbps service.

I simply cannot believe that this can be allowed to happen - BT are in open competition with other providers (although they provide all ADSL at source) for customers, and to have a policy like this will just force customers elsewhere, as in my case.

Steven135 13:42 24 Sep 03

Smiffy99 will you be in a cable area? I have found Blueyonder 1MB to be excellent.

Chegs ® 14:23 24 Sep 03

I was with Pipex,but their services were lousy(less than 5k most days,only topping 10k in the early hours)They refused to answer any requests to check/repair/sort the lousy speed.I got really peeved at them when BT accidently switched off the phone,and when it was reactivated,Pipex wanted another £50 to reactivate the ADSL.I then moved house,and signed up with Eclipse-Networking,and they enabled my line before the date they said,I asked(via email)howto upload my website,and received an answer within 24 hours.Connection is always first go,full speed(512k)whatever the time of day,and I would recommend them to anyone disgruntled with their present ISP.

Unfortunately not, I live in an area where the average age must be in excess of 100 (Eastbourne) and there is no prospect of Cable in the foreseeable future!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…