bt broadband

mimo 18:54 10 Jan 04

hi ,bt broadband .....anygood,any issues with xp(does it require xpsp1),what do you think,worth the money.i look forward to your comments.thanks mimo

Forum Editor 19:14 10 Jan 04

with any version of Windows.

I've used it since it was first launched and have nothing but praise for the service. At the very beginning there were a few teething problems, since when it has worked perfectly, day in and day out, without a hitch.

Worth the cost? well that's a subjective thing. If you use the Internet a lot it certainly is - you'll be online for as long as you like without incurring extra call charges, and your phone/fax will still function as before - effectively it's like having two lines on one. Added to that you'll be surfing at many times the speed of an analogue modem.

christmascracker 19:53 10 Jan 04

Had it since September and very pleased with it.

Installation very quick and painless.

Had to phone them on one occasion with a problem and it was dealt with very quickly.

Another advantage (from my point of view) is that the monthly charge is put onto your quarterly phone bill.

slysy 20:29 10 Jan 04

I have had 512 for almost a year, with Giointernet and use XP.

Never had any problems installing the modem, ZOOM PCI ADSL, which I bought separatley (wires Only package). It is very easy to install the card, with very little configuration.

To setup the connection with the ISP, was also a breeze, came with auto-install setup connection.

As for web security I would certainly recommend that you download and install XPDite, available at click here
You dont really have to install SP1 after this as this app is a good patch.
Also make use of the security patches and tests that they have.

Get yourself a firewall, dont use the one supplied with XP, not that good. I use McAfee VirusScan Pro with firewall and this has been excellant.
Also consider getting PopUp Stopper, stop them annoying blighters.

Personally, my opinion on ADSL is that the cost of this package, currently £19.99 click here is not much more than some averaged priced reliable 56K packages.
I can still make calls whilst online which is a huge help, specially in helping some of my technically challenge relatives and friends get help from me. Perhaps thats not a bonus then???

So well worth the money, GET IT!!!!

Ramblings of a madman over.

GibsonSt19 21:42 10 Jan 04

click here and have a look.

You can compare up to six ISP's at a time.

The message boards are also useful for checking out the thoughts of each ISP's current customers.

Just an idea.

TheTerminator 22:26 10 Jan 04

a doddle to set up, really easy to do; good support, works well with my wireless network. superb!

mimo 22:34 10 Jan 04

thanks for all your comments.when i visited the bt web site they are advertising two b/b yahoo and bt openworld.are they both the same b/b service,if not which is a little confused.more assistance required .thanks and hear from you soon.cheers mimo

christmascracker 22:39 10 Jan 04

click here

This page at BT tells you the difference between the two

The Spires 00:08 11 Jan 04

I have used BT BB for almost two years now, I have had very few problems, I don't notice any speed drop off at peak time. I have been very pleased.

mimo 19:38 12 Jan 04

hello and thanks for all your assistance.cheers mimo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…