BT believes content is king

Brian-336451 12:28 17 Jun 03

Copied from the News Forum

I remember when Triumph motorcycles thought they were the king of parallel twins. (Who?)

Shame the Japanese didn't agree with them.

The only reason that BT are self-satisfied is that they STILL hold such a monopoly.

Watch this space . . .

PC Advisor. 12:55 17 Jun 03

We'd be interested to know if any of our regulars believe BT Yahoo will now be able to challenge the likes of content-rich services such as AOL.

Comments?

Danoh 13:35 17 Jun 03

I reckon that AOL is popular due to the range of promotional channels it uses; regular and effective TV, radio and magazine ads, CDs via junk mail, retail outlets, and a brand which does not suffer as much as BT does from being an incumbant tel-op.

Its software is also very much cut-down, which although frustrating for more experienced users, the majority are less clued up and find it simpler to use and more robust in operation.

Initially the content which is ready wrapped by AOL is a great starter, but this is soon more of an annoyance than a help, even to beginners.

But the very neat email address which ends simply with AOL.com, is a great aid when you wish to pass it on, verbally.

This is drawn from my own observation of my uncle who started with AOL but has since moved on.

Others that I know who have stayed with AOL do so more out of apathy, difficulty in being confident that all their email contacts will remember to change to a new email address for them and a view that it is simply too technical a feat to move somewhere else (if it ain't broke, ...).

BT's email addresses are laughably long. But then, Freeserve is worse and they have managed to capture significant customer numbers.

So its probably down to the number of channels where they can hook the begineer as well as competitive pricing.

How does BT fare on these points? I would venture, not at all well. Sparodic advertising does not do it. Top-end pricing does not either, when you do not deliver any thing like top-end value.

From the News article;
"while BT concentrates on provision of the service in terms of access and customer support.
The agreement will allow "both [Yahoo and BT] to focus on what they do best", explains BT Openworld boss, Duncan Ingram."

That is simply delusionary and laughable!!

I don't think that online content along does a sausage to add value; combining it effectively to offline, real-world services does, if you are to be successful in targeting top-end pricing.

Danoh 13:37 17 Jun 03

Didn't realise until I'd posted, how I've gone on!! Made a complete hash of the last paragraph, which should read;

I don't think that online content alone does anything to add value; combining it effectively to offline, real-world services does, if you are to be successful in targeting top-end pricing.

anchor 16:37 17 Jun 03

Personally, I don`t give a hang about content. I want a broadband ISP who will provide an excellent, reliable and fast service, for a reasonable price. I think that Pipex do just this; after all they did win an award earlier this year.

I would not consider paying almost £80 per year for more "content". I agree with Danoh; AOL have a name that is so well known, that I doubt BT will make more than slight dent in their market.

BT are clutching at straws; I have 2 BT phone lines, but seldom use them for my calls. Simply by dialling a prefix, I get at least 40% off the normal BT rate; sometimes more. By being more expensive, they lose more than they gain.

wee eddie 17:39 17 Jun 03

I would be interested if you asked this Question on your poll soon.

"How long did you spend on your ISP's page and it's links?"

1. I have changed Home Page

2. Only long enough to hit the Favourites Button.

3. I always scan the page before moving on.

4. I invariably find something interesting and frequently visit a link or two.

5. I very rarely get beyond the fascinating Content of my ISP's Homepage.

I have only myself to speak for but I have never felt that my ISP's home page to be nothing more than an irritating necessity. Quickly scanned when one is terminally bored, and then on to the reason for ones visit to the web.

hoverman 18:12 17 Jun 03

As with anchor I just want a reliable and fast braidband service and then decide for myself where I want to go and what I want to view.

hoverman 18:13 17 Jun 03

Woops 'braidband' should be 'broadband'.

snoresloudly 19:03 17 Jun 03

Have to agree with anchor, I am with freeserve broadband and must admit that I very rarely even look at their homepage. All I wanted was a fast reliable connection that did not cost the earth. All the bells and whistles that AOL/BT etc provide are irelevant to me. As for the comment by Danoh, I do use a freeserve e-mail address but only for when I am on websites that need an address, I bought my own domain name (my inatial and surname) as a .co.uk for £2.99 + vat for 2 years (just keep renewing it) so my e-mail address is easy for people to remember.

The Spires 19:22 17 Jun 03

I use BT Broadband & I won't use any extra content, if it is intrusive I will change to another ISP & mailed BT the same.

H-J 21:39 17 Jun 03

Come on, pca, how about it? wee eddies suggestion is as good as some of the other polls that have been done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…