//some 3rd party need geo

BT 2MB BROADBAND UPGRADE FOR FREE

alan9900 17:53 08 Mar 05

Just received a letter from BT telling me i will be getting 2mb broadband upgrade for free - not bad me thinks....WHAT THIS ACTUALLY MEANS IN REAL SPEED IMPROVEMENT I DON'T NO I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.

wjrt 18:51 08 Mar 05

similar letter this morning upgrade by 15th march but on day of implementation could be out for up to 30 mins. same exchange friend of son said had this also but a bit miffed as they had been paying for 1mb service

Mr Mistoffelees 19:02 08 Mar 05

Same upgrade coming to me too by the same date. Biggest improvement will probably be seen when downloading files rather than when browsing.

what speed are they upgrading you from?

spuds 19:26 08 Mar 05

Beats me how BT can offer 2mb to its own customers, yet cannot provide the same capacity to other ISP's. I have a Tiscali package, sold as 'upto 1mb'yet BT and Tiscali say that they cannot provide 1mb.

alan9900 19:39 08 Mar 05

484 KBPS DOWNSTREAM
258 KBPS UPSTREAM

Mr Mistoffelees 19:40 08 Mar 05

I'm currently on 1Mbps so should see my speed double. I live very close to the exchange so it should not be a problem.

Minkey1 21:43 08 Mar 05

We're on BT Yahoo BB, previously at the 1 meg level, £29.99 pm, 30 gig cap. Got the same email a couple of weeks ago and last week found I was on 2 meg.

ADSLguide.org.uk run at varying times since is showing up to 1800 kbps download speed so it is measurably better, although subjectively I have to say it doesn't "feel" that much quicker.

It seems that where line quality/distance from the exchange is good enough, the standard offering above basic will be 2 meg. Initially I did think that customers on lower speeds would benefit the most, but then realised this would only be if they accepted a cap under 30 gig.

5 yrs ago BT were charging me £39.99 pm for 512 and in those days you had to pay £150 for an engineers visit (no self instal then) plus something for the modem/connection. So a connection 4 times faster for 25% less money is still better. Some thanks are due to AOL etc for pushing BT along.

I'm sure in a year or so we'll think of 2 meg as old hat.

Regards

Mike

Stuartli 14:34 10 Mar 05

You can get unlimited 1MB for £14.99 and faster speeds are not all that much higher now with many ISPs - you seem be paying over the odds both now and previously, even more so as it's capped (high level though).

Mr Mistoffelees 20:30 19 Mar 05

Came and went and the promised upgrade has not happened. My line length is less than 600M so I should have seen an improvement. Maybe it is coming up soon, or not.

MLewis 21:08 19 Mar 05

I had the same e mails. I'm currently on the 1mb service but have since been told that they can't upgrade me to the 2md because 'my line can't take it'. Could this be a scam by Bt just to keep there customers!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…