Brother

Sebby 19:53 03 Mar 07

I bought a Brother MFC-3820CN 3 years ago, following a pretty decent review by PC Advisor. For the price, I was pretty happy with it.

About a year ago, the machine's LCD started to read "machine error 41". After a little search on the the web, it was clear that this was a common issue. I called Brother, who confirmed it was a known fault and the warranty on this part was extended by 2 years as a gesture of goodwill. They sent an engineer that same week to replace the part.

A couple of days ago, the machine said the same thing on the LCD. To be honest, I was expecting to have to throw it away as it would be out of warranty completely, but given that it was 3 years old and was only £150 I wasn't too upset. I called Brother on the off chance, who told me that as I'd had the problem once before they'd replace the machine for a brand new one. And, as they don't make the 3820CN anymore, they'd give me the new model, the 5840CN (which, incidentally, is greatly improved).

So a big thumbs up to Brother. It's not often that I'm actually impressed by one of these big manufacturers, but their service really has been great.

Stuartli 21:39 03 Mar 07

Excellent.

Les 22:59 04 Mar 07

I agree with Stuartli - that kind of service is incredible! I've had the Brother HL1230 Laser for years now - never had to contact Brother at all. Reliable and economic - would most certainly buy another (but not until my present one has worn out!)<g> especially after reading Sebby's post.

Sebby 23:20 04 Mar 07

That's great, Les.

I forgot to mention something else that I thought was great. The guy I spoke to at Brother actually asked if I had any unopened cartridges for the 3820CN. As it so happened I had a brand new cartridge of each colour in a drawer. He gave me an address to send them to to have them replaced for the correct ones for the new model. Okay, so strictly speaking this is only fair, but I guarantee most other large manufacturers would not do that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009