Broadband Upgrade

quack 12:46 19 Feb 05

Why doesn't BT upgrade it's telephone exchanges to allow faster Broadband connection to be available nationwide? I have a 512 connection with Tiscali for which I have been paying £24.99 per month. Recently, on visiting their website I discovered that they were advertising a 1 Mb service for the same price and decided that I would take advantage of this offer and upgrade. Not so easy!! Tiscali informed me that I could not have 1Mb service on my phone line. Checked with Wanadoo who said Yes they could supply the service but it may be necessary for a BT Engineer to check the line. Checked with BT Broadband to be told the same thing but, noting my reluctance to be without any connection whilst making a change from Tiscali, they suggested that I contact Tiscali and obtain a Migration Code Authority number so that I could be switched straight over. Snag is BT do not offer Tiscali this service. Where do I go from here?

spuds 14:59 19 Feb 05

When you tried to upgrade to the 1mb service, did you try doing this via 'My Account'. I have recently upgraded to the £15.99 upto 1mbx2GB promotional offer.I had problems initially via Tiscali main new/existing customer webpage, then tried the 'My Account' section, and everything worked smoothly.

Not sure about the 1mb connection yet, and I will make further inquiries with BT. Like you, Wanadoo say they can provide me with their 1mb service, Tiscali are unsure.

FelixTCat 15:47 19 Feb 05

Go here: click here

This will tell you whether you are too far from your exchange to get a speed upgrade.

spuds 19:32 19 Feb 05

Checking out the link above, I should be able to receive the 1mb service, my exchange supports it.The upgrade seems okay so far,so I suppose I cannot grumble.

quack 22:33 19 Feb 05

Cant upgrade on line as Tiscali Website will not give me the option for 1Mb service which basically started this whole mess.

Tony_B 12:00 22 Feb 05

Suggest you try Freedom2Surf. 2M broadband for £14.99 pm. Excellent Service I have never had a problem.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:58 22 Feb 05

If your connection is OK the upgrade will make little or no difference to you. It hardly increases page load and you will not be downloading anywhere near 1mb/sec. The only reason that I suggest sticking with Tiscali is that it is better the devil you know and if their speeds/service has been OK stick with them.

G

MMH 01:10 23 Feb 05

Also note my comments on Subject "BT and Broadband this is a joke" regards to blueyonder.
Upgraded my line from 512k to 1meg no extra charges.

quack 09:20 25 Feb 05

Now being told by Tiscali that they are working on getting their 1mb service to all customers and that they expect to be able to upgrade me automatically in the next month or so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac