Broadband Unlimited Package advice

124879 12:43 09 Mar 07

Hello,

I was just wondering what experiences people have of unlimited broadbad. I am currently on AOL, have been for years, but got feed up with the speed between 5pm and midnight. I get about 650kb/s during the day but only between 40-80kb/s in the evening, which AOL say is due to the fair usage policy. They won't even let me buy extra usage.

I was thinking about pipex broadband. Has anyone else come across this problem? If so, which ISP would you recommend. Many thanks for any advice,

MB

Kate B 13:15 09 Mar 07

I'm with Pipex and have no complaints, though I don't need technical support so can't comment on their customer service.

have a look at moneysupermarket.com.

HondaMan 14:03 09 Mar 07

I'm with Force9 and have very good speeds BUT you have to remember when ACL (America Comes Online)when everything slows down.

If you check for your ISPs peak times you will find gthat it corresponds roughly to the USA's working day. Avoid that, and all should be well!

HondaMan 14:04 09 Mar 07

gthat = that

Rigga 14:51 09 Mar 07

You say you are throttled because of a "Fair usage policy".

Can I ask, how much are you downloading a month, that way we can direct you to the best ISP for your needs.

I must say though that more and more ISP's are putting in a fair usage policy to stop the so called bandwidth hogs.

Some ISP's now offer PAYG broadband, with no FUP but you obviously pay for what you use. This may be more suitable if you're willing to pay more.

HTH. R.

DerekR 21:41 09 Mar 07

click here

Totally unlimited

terryf 04:18 10 Mar 07

I use Eclipse who don't appear to throttle but then I chose one of their more expensive packages, I am afraid in this world, you only get what you pay for.

terryf 04:19 10 Mar 07

DerekR - Aren't they only cable?

richardcockbain 13:25 10 Mar 07

Pipex have a very agressive fair use policy and will limit any download. I am presently negotiating my exit from them.

Do yourself a favour and avoid Pipex!

124879 14:07 10 Mar 07

I looked into all the suggestions, but decided that I would go for the Eclipse broadband since they seem to be the most honest when they decribe their fair use policy. Pipex does have limit, so I will avoid them lol. Virgin limit is about 40GB, which I could get for free via talktalk - I dont understand that. Hopefully, I will be very happy on Eclipse :)

Many thanks

MB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…