Broadband un-availability

hoop 13:05 07 Feb 04

Tried ordering broadband from BT, and initial checks confirmed we can get it, although due to the distance I could only have 512k service. Great, until they came back and tell me that further checks show I can`t get it at all. Ah well, just one of those things I thought.

I called BT to ask if they could give me an idea of how far outside the area covered I am, so that if in the future they were able to cover greater distances I could then apply again. I was a bit surprised, to put it mildly, to be told it was just my line that couldn`t get it, as the adviser informed me that my neighbours may get it, either side, just not me!

Would I be right in thinking then, that although I am in range, that it is just the condition of the line from the exchange to my property that prevents the supply of BB, and if so, requesting a line that is BB capable would solve the problems? Would I be entitled to make such a request?

Jim

Forum Editor 14:40 07 Feb 04

is of paramount importance, a noisy line will simply not support a digital data service. The issue here is that BT do contrct with you to provide a data service at all - the terms and conditions of your telephone line rental agreement only oblige BT to provide an analogue voice service.

As you have discovered, that means that you might not be able to have a broadband service, although your neighbours may well be OK.

Now if you were to have a noisy voice service, one that meant your phone calls were badly disrupted on a frequent but irregular basis BT would be obliged to fix the problem. You would need to phone them to report the problem of course.

Forum Editor 14:42 07 Feb 04

should of course read: "BT do not contract with you to provide "

Apologies.

georgemac 15:11 07 Feb 04

what was that, I couldn't hear you on this dodgy phone line!

seriously it would be worth trying that [ath, but the BT engineer would probably decide the phone line was OK for voise calls?

Is it possibly worth checking the connections inside the house?

How do BT check the line? Could it be a poor connection on the main socket, or perhaps the socket itself which could be causing the fault?

hoop 16:15 07 Feb 04

FE

I appreciate that BT only contract to provide a voice service, but if as the fellow on the `phone suggests, a different line would make a difference, I`m wondering if BT could test any `free` lines to see if one was capable of carrying the data service and then transferring me onto that line instead, and would it be reasonable to expect such a check. There are new properties being built in the area, so I imagine they will be provided with lines when new occupiers move so I would like to be able to get one of the enabled lines first if possible before someone gets one who might not even want BB.

georgemac

How would I go about testing the connections inside the house?

Jim

georgemac 19:27 07 Feb 04

well I'm not a telecoms engineer so I'm not exactly sure, but I would guess up to the master socket would have to be checked by BT.

Firstly how old is the house and therefore telephone line installation?

click here for a guide on how a modern master socket should look, if you unscrew it and take it off the wall. If you have extension sockets, they should be different from the master socket as expalined in the article, but will be wired into the master socket.

Depending on how the extension cables have been fitted (special tool is required but some people just use a screwdriver to push the wire in)
the wiring may not be great?

Is your voice line OK or is it noisy, you could always ask BT to check it but they may charge you.

How many telephones do you have fitted in the house, you must not exceed a ren rating of 4.0, a phone is typically ren 1.0 or 1.5, this is taken from a web page

"REN is Ringer Equivalence Number. It's a measure of the load a phone/modem puts on the phone line. Each phone/modem is about 1 REN, although some older ones (or foreign 'illegal' ones) may be significantly more. You are permitted 4 REN on the line. If you go beyond that some or all of them may not ring. It's not an exact science. Many modern devices are labeled as 1 REN, although they are actually lower. Also I believe that on some lines you can get problems below 4 REN, in which case you can ask BT to boost the power on your line."

georgemac 19:41 07 Feb 04

There are 4 tests done "line length" - to determine how far you are from your exchange (in cable length). This is important because the "noise" on the line increases with distance, and the electrical signal weakens after a certain length significantly. Test 2 is the "noise" test. Your line has to be as quiet as possible to get the best results. Exceptionally noisy lines fail the tests. The 3rd test us known as the "capacitance" test. This also checks the quality of the line. Lastly, another line quality test, known as the "whoosh" test is done. Assuming you pass all of these tests, you should be able to have ADSL.

a search on google revealed this, although it may not work now click here

perhaps woth just getting the test done again with only one hone connected to the master socket, and check the cable make sure there is no noise on the line when it is moved about?

while searching I also read of peopel whose line had failed the test then passed it later on

georgemac 19:47 07 Feb 04

click here RADSL

click here DACS can cause problems - DACS is fitted to split a telephone line in 2 if there is a shortage of lines in the area

bruno 19:51 07 Feb 04

I have received broadband successfully for three months,in spite of being on the edge of the receiving area.Three weeks ago everything went haywire and eventually my ISP arranged for a visit from a BT broadband engineer(as opposed to a"normal" BT engineer).He connected up to my indoor terminal with his own modem and laptop.He did not expect much signal due to my position but told me and showed me that I did have a strong signal.He then changed the wire from the outside terminal box and also my indoor box.He then showed me how much the signal had inreased by doing that.I have had no further trouble in the last ten days.I think it may deoend on how helpful the engineer is and how much he will try to help.My connection and wire were at least 20 years old.

georgemac 17:05 08 Feb 04

I did the noise test as described in the link above on my line and it worked OK and was fine. The next test which is supposed to tell you the distance from the exchange did not, although it said my line was good. The reason I probably never got the distance is the exchange is not broadband enabled - yet!

hoop 18:16 08 Feb 04

I did both tests and it said it was ok, although it didn`t tell me the distance. Seems that part of the service has been stopped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…