Broadband and Telephone Transfer

danpep5552 10:38 19 Feb 08

I am with Virgin and have BB 8mb and 3 telephone lines (one used a s a fax). I find I can save quite a bit on money monthly by transferring to other suppliers but those I have come across require a BT line, which of course I do not have (former NTL customer). Is there a provider that I can move to without the cost of first putting in BT lines? As a new Virgin customer of course I could nearly halve my monthly outlay but having given them the opportunity they are not interested in keeping me by offering any better terms for an existing customer of 11 years standing.

lofty29 10:57 19 Feb 08

I think you will find that virgin/ntl/telewest own the cable, so they will not let you transfer to someone else, as this would involve letting someone else use their network. either you put in a bt line and the cost involved. I suppose you could try leaving them and then come back as a new customer, dont know whether they would wear this or not

danpep5552 11:05 19 Feb 08

The account is in my wifes name and it occurred to me to apply in my name and cancel her account but the telephone numbers are important to me and on pre-printed material

HXP 01:02 20 Feb 08

A lot of the other suppliers do appear cheaper as they piggy back off the BT infrastructure.

As you say you have to rent a BT line so although the ' headline ' price they show is broadband for £X.XX they conveniently leave out the £30 odd per line you have to pay to BT.

The thing about virgin / telewest is they have their own cable infrastructure which is modern, reliable and dedicated to delivering their service.

If you save £20 but end up with a service less reliable / speed that you ahve now will you be better off?

Just something to consider before making the change.

I have now swapped all my services including mobile to Virgin and they have so far been excellent ! Check what speeds you can expect from BT lines by ringing them ....

HXP

danpep5552 08:46 20 Feb 08

Thanks HXP I was considering that. When I called NTL some years ago to complain about the Digital TV problem I had with the box and advised I was off if they didn't fix it they kindly offered Sky's telephone number (I didn't need a second invitiation). Virgin virtually said goodbye to me on complaint this time. Ironically another Virgin dept. cold called yesterday to offer me free television for life, you can imagine my reaction. BT seem to want about £125 per line to put in and the Virgin service has been reliable in the main. Even the NTL one before didn't give me that much trouble. The guy from the free TV offer suggested calling again about the price being charged in the hope that I spoke to someone with a better disposition so it must have been a good day in the far flung field service centre yesterday as I was offered an £8 discount for 8 months. Something to chew on whilst I investigate etc. At the moment I have a bigger fish to fry with a problem new laptop from Acer which unless I get satisfaction this morning I will post on later

lofty29 08:58 20 Feb 08

It is well known that Virgin customer service leaves a great deal to be desired

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017