Broadband Routers

allent 00:40 26 Jan 03

I have a Speed touch USB modem using BT internet.How can I connect my 4 other computers using the internet without having to turn on the one connected to the modem.

Forum Editor 01:05 26 Jan 03

and connecting the SpeedTouch modem to that. You'll have to download the modem's firmware to the router and enter your username/password combination into its firmware so it (router) can make the connection each time it's booted.

Connect your computers to the router with normal network cable and RJ45 connectors and away you go - each machine will be able to use the connection without any of the others needing to be on.

Many routers now have an ADSL modem built in, so you can dispense with some of the configuration. You may prefer to buy one of those and be done with it.

Forum Editor 01:08 26 Jan 03

have made it clear that you'll need to install a network card in each computer for this to work. Or you can use a USB network adapter that simply plugs into each machine. Connect the network cable to that, and run to the router in the same way. These external adapters are useful if you don't want to install network cards in every machine - you can just move the external adapter from machine to machine if they don't all need to be online at the same time.

Psiman 07:40 26 Jan 03

the tech. stuff given by FE, but I can recommend some routers. I use a D-Link DSL-504 which has a built-in modem so my old USD Speedtouch modem now sits in a draw. The 504 also has a 4-port switch so I just run four straight through cat.5 cables from the router to each client PC.

The 504 has been running for over a year now 24/7 without a problem and even re-boots it's self after a power cut, (as it should). If you ask D-Link nicely, they have a 150 page catalogue that covers all products including their new wireless LAN access equipment.

Other equally good alternatives are from Linksys and Netgear.

You may wish to consider a wireless net now to save trailing cables around your location. I re-decorated some of our house a while ago and took the opportunity to pull cat.5 cable all over the place at the same time. Bit dumb really as I've lost my excuse with the wife to buy a wireless net now........:-)

Pilch.... 11:22 26 Jan 03

As Psiman said, it is very good, i have had one for a few month's, and not had any real problems with it. D-Link have very good customer support and i would recommend them to anyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…