Broadband recommendation

VNAM75 15:45 25 Aug 09

My relative wants to install broadband on its own without any extras, 10mb maximum. Virgin are charging about £20 (first 3 months £15) which I find quite expensive. I've heard of lots of cheap BT line BB packages esp O2 but I view them as inferior to cable broadband.

With O2 can you get 10mb BB for about £8-10? I'm not sure whether to go BT line or cable BB. The distance to the local exchange is 2.4km. Which would better for broadband only without phone? Are virgin still offering discounts for recommending a friend?

GaT7 17:22 25 Aug 09

If he/she has a BT line already I'd definitely recommend O2's ADSL2+ service. I was with NTL/VM cable for 3-4 years before I made the switch early last year & never regretted it.

Samknows to find out if they can get O2 in their area: click here

O2 packages *: click here

£50 cashback via Topcashback / Quidco: click here / click here

* It's better for them to take it along with a O2 mobile deal (PAYG will do too) as for the same money you not only get £40 worth of calls, but £20 off a year overall with the £5 discount each month - explained in detail in this thread click here - post of Sat, [email protected]:20. G

interzone55 17:23 25 Aug 09

is you relative in a cabled area?

If not you can rule out Virgin as their ADSL service isn't competitive.

O2 have "up to" 8mb unlimited broadband for £12.23, with a fiver off if you have an O2 mobile.

If you want "up to" 20mb you then it's £14.68 or £9.79.

click here

These prices and speeds depend on your exchange have O2 kit available...

paul trotter 18:28 25 Aug 09

The issue of PC Advisor that's out in the shops on 10th September might be of use if you're looking for ISP recommendations based on reliability, speed etc. It'll include a big feature based PC Advisor reader feedback.

Paul Trotter, PCA

VNAM75 20:13 25 Aug 09

Thanks for the advice and help. He has a BT line and is also in a cable area. The O2 packages look very interesting and the one to go for I think considering he only wants broadband.

birdface 20:19 25 Aug 09

I take it you still have to pay rental on your Bt line so remember and add it on then you get the right price.It is no longer just £8.10.

VNAM75 20:41 25 Aug 09

He has a BT phone line which he pays the standard line rental and the calls he makes, whatever that is. So if O2 were to install broadband would he need an extra/new phone line or does it route through the existing phone line? How does it work, do calls and broadband go down the same (one) bt line?

I've been with NTL/virgin for ages and the last time I was using a bt line for internet was back in the dial up days where you couldn't use the telephone while you were online. Someone please explain how it works with BT line broadband.

GaT7 20:48 25 Aug 09

'So if O2 were to install broadband would he need an extra/new phone line or does it route through the existing phone line?' - routes through the existing one.

'How does it work, do calls and broadband go down the same (one) bt line?' - yes, via the supplied 'filters', so they both exist together without any conflicts or slow-downs.

click here & click here. G

VNAM75 21:00 25 Aug 09

Thanks Crossbow, from your second link:

"Telephone installation in the United States consists of a pair of copper wires...have lots of room for carrying more than your phone conversations...DSL exploits this "extra capacity" to carry information on the wire without disturbing the line's ability to carry conversations"

I'd previously thought a standard phone line was only capable of routing voice calls or basic internet traffic because of the slow speed of dial up. So ADSL is actually a technology that exploits the capacity of the copper line.

interzone55 21:02 25 Aug 09

The ADSL connection would be on their existing phone line.

With the sign up package from most ISPs you get a modem of some kind, usually a wireless model with 4 ethernet ports (that's what O2 give), you'll also get a couple of "Splitters", these go into all the phone points. If you have more than 2 phone connections then you'll need to buy more splitters.

These splitters are simply a filter that splits the phone line into two separate frequency ranges, one for voice calls and one for ADSL.

There's more info here
click here

VNAM75 21:08 25 Aug 09

Thanks alan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…