Broadband provider changed without my consent

mammak 12:52 PM 10 Dec 11

Hi, I have just discovered that my Broadband has been moved to another ISP without my consent. I have obviously still got an internet connection coming into my house, but as yet have no idea who from? My land line is still active with my previous ISP. I intend to phone Ofcom on Monday for some advice. But in the mean time is there anyway at all I might find out who this ISP is? The service is still coming through my Homehub. So it is not a dial-up connection. I have had no bills or letters from anyone. So I am really at a loss as what to do about this situation. Regards.

Woolwell 13:07 PM 10 Dec 11

How do you know that it has changed? You would need a password for a new ISP.

mammak 13:17 PM 10 Dec 11

Only reason I found out about this is my original ISP asked for their equipment back! The connection I've been using is wireless, that has excepted my original wireless key (My Home Network had still been set as it was before). But I am about to plug in an Ethernet wire and delete the wireless connection, to see if this would shed any light as to whom it is that is providing my Broadband.

D@ve 13:44 PM 10 Dec 11

This should tell you. Personally, I think it's more likely that your original ISP has messed up somewhere and still is providing your internet.

Forum Editor 15:02 PM 10 Dec 11

If you can connect using the original login details your broadband service is still being provided by your original ISP.

Your router has to handshake with the ISP's equipment in your local telephone exchange, and the fact that it still does that means there has been no change.

birdface 17:57 PM 10 Dec 11

If Virginmedia my connection on the Taskbar says Network 6 Internet Access.

Is that the sort of thing that you mean.

spuds 13:49 PM 11 Dec 11

D@ve

Your link proves very interesting. According to the information regarding the ISP I use, which is Talk Talk, it would appear that Pipex is the account provider, having been transferred from Tiscali. I have never had any dealings with Pipex, so I can only assume this is either wrong information, or Talk Talk are moving accounts again?.

D@ve 14:57 PM 11 Dec 11

spuds,

Pipex and TalkTalk have merged into one company and will therefore be using each other's resources. Your IP address must belong to a subset that was previously reserved for Pipex.

www.pipex.co.uk

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification: OP2 confirmed in VR product launch - full OnePlus…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things