Broadband problem but compliments to BT

Bandy 12:56 10 Nov 04

Spent a happy evening yesterday trying to get broadband up and running at a friend’s home.

They’d ordered BT Broadband Basic and the bits and pieces had arrived that afternoon

I duly started the software installation only to have the computer power supply die when the usb modem was plugged in. Checked with PCWorld, found they had a 350watt supply in stock, then zipped out and got it for £31. I then installed it and re-installed the software and modem to find than nothing happened – unable to connect.

After some discussion with the BT Helpline the computer was moved into the hallway so that it could be connected directly to the master socket in the house, but that didn’t improve the situation. Further discussion with BT followed, along with line testing and it was decided to use the test socket inside the master socket to connect. This allowed the modem to connect, previously only the power light on the Voyager 105 was alight. – but still unable to use it. However it did prove that there’s a fault on the domestic extensions somewhere.

More discussions and testing with BT showed that there’s about 60db of noise, the top limit, on this long line from the exchange. I understand that BT Wholesale are able to make some improvements at the exchange, and also have a unit that can be attached to the master socket to improve the situation.

The machine has been left on in the hallway so that BT can perform a number of tests to sort out the situation, I’m told, within the next 48 hours.

Just wanted to say that although some perseverance is needed when contacting BT, and the various sections, they have been most helpful in sorting out the situation, although it’s still not completed.

One other point, although everyone kept telling me that the Helpline, the free one not the 50p a minute jobbie, was only available until 8.00pm, I was in contact with a very polite and helpful assistant until about 11.30pm

I look forward to completing the installation on Thursday and then to having the extension wiring checked.

throwitoutthewindow 20:17 10 Nov 04

I'd like to say I also had a problem getting mine working and BT were very helpful. It turned out to be a PC problem I could not have expected BT to solve but they tried and carried on trying until I switched somethign I had not told them about and hey presto it worked.

Noelg23 18:22 11 Nov 04

well thats something you dont hear alot...I happen to work for BT at the faults section and its true the faults is open 24/7 its the sales that closes at 150 is for sales and 151 is for Faults...dont forget that...

oresome 19:08 11 Nov 04

Heard on the news today that whilst BT continues to lose voice business, it's more than made up for by the success of broadband connections.

I expect they're pulling out all the stops to ensure this continues.

Bandy 23:21 11 Nov 04

All is solved abd working perfectly

True to their word a BT engineer arrived at the house at 1.30pm today afer checking the line at the exchange and outside.

The engineer then fitted a new faceplate to the master socker, a sort of permanent splitter which then left all the normal telephone extensions working plus a dsl socket. They also offered to fit a dsl extension cable, this offer was not taken up because I didn't know exactly where it would be needed.

When the home owner later arrived I was quickly able to fit it myself.

In all conversations I was met with competance and good humour from everyone at BT and I congratulate them on their service and efficiency

MLewis 18:29 13 Nov 04

Hi there, I just wanted to say that when I first installed the BT equipment I too had trouble but a phone call to the help desk sorted it out. I have just upgraded to the 1Mb service with no trouble at all. I must take my hat off to BT I have now been with them for over 3 years(dial up and broadband) and have never had any problems with them. Well done BT.

CurlyWhirly 21:07 13 Nov 04

Heard on the news today that whilst BT continues to lose voice business, it's more than made up for by the success of broadband connections.
I expect they're pulling out all the stops to ensure this continues.

Yeah and to think around 18 months ago BT didn't think that there would be 'sufficient interest' in Broadband and now the UK is climbing up the European Broadband League even overtaking Germany in the number of subscribers!

Bandy 21:45 13 Nov 04

You may well be correct that BT are pulling out all the stops on Broadband, however I can oly speak as I find and that is that I normally get excellent service from BT.

I posted this in the hope that it may help others solve any similar problem and secondly because I hear a lot of people grumbling about BT an I thought that since I had received excellent service I should show the other side of the coib

CurlyWhirly 12:30 14 Nov 04

I am NOT criticising BT. On the contrary when I first upgraded to broadband around 18 months ago even though AOL is my ISP (and not BT), I still had a very nice phone call off a BT Engineer asking me if everything was okay after enabling my telephone line at my local telephone exchange.

It is always nice to hear a positive remark as (like you said) you mostly hear complaints about BT so your post is most welcome.

mbp 18:57 14 Nov 04

Although BT broadband superficially appears to be one of the most expensive BB service, many subscribers do not take the trouble to study the fine print. You get additional protection from viruses, spam, pop-ups etc and can get even more protection if you wish to subscribe to just company for everything. You get free web space, free photo album and briefcase web space. Good support survices. A reliable and dependant service from a company that has a reputation to maintain. Of course there is still room for price reductions, which will come with competition, and when BT feels she needs an even larger market share. There are a lot of American IT companies waiting to take business away if BT does not match competition. At least it is gratifying to see that their support services are receiving favourable comments. It is a good indicator. However, it worries me a little that BT is using the American Creeping Consumerization technique tying up with Yahoo. I hope that British Telecoms (UK) remains in the driving seat.

Magik ®© 19:51 14 Nov 04

I realize the box is ticked, but in life,most of the time you get what you pay for,and BT is no exception, they might be a bit dearer, but for peace of mind it is worth it, the two times i have had trouble, and that is since BT started BB,it has been sorted double quick, along with the phone calls after to check it is ok..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…