Broadband or Fast dial-up?

JAKK 16:00 02 Feb 05

I am about to buy a new pc and I have something in mind, for my requirements (thanks to this forum, had lots to read) and to make life a lot easier (well quicker anyway) I’m also considering broadband.

I’ve been to click here and seen the comparisons, Within this comparison I’ve seen a non-broadband option.

What I’d like to know is, has anyone tried the non-broadband option with Onspeed?

Broadband seems to be around £16-18 per month on a 512Kps or 1Mps, however, Onspeed is £2 per month, it’s non-broadband, and is 5 times quicker than dial-up.

I will be using the net simply to browse around and for my kids to play with Nick Jr or Cbeebies (or similar sites), so 5x dial-up I guess is adequate – ie little (if non at all) downloading.

Anyone any thoughts (good or bad) on Onspeed and whether 5x dial-up is ok for kids sites(primary school age) ?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

bfoc 16:10 02 Feb 05

It isn't really a true comparison in that Onspeed, as I understand it, compresses pages that you request while surfing to make them download faster.

So you access the web through their server(s) and there will be a speed improvement as long as the pages you request can be compressed enough to make the extra time worthwhile. In certain circumstances their will be no improvement and things could take longer!

Onspeed can speed up dial-up but it really isn't broadband.

click here for a review.

PsiFox 16:14 02 Feb 05

From another site

"Not everyone can access broadband and people on the move often have to use a GPRS connection. The new version of Onspeed claims to speed up Internet access. Unlike some that simply tweak a few Registry settings, it's based around an annual subscription to a web proxy service. The web proxy compresses the documents you request and there's also a transparent email proxy for Pop3 and SMTP connections, which is new to this version.

Setup is straightforward and you only need to enter your subscription information. IE-based browsers will be configured automatically. For others, such as Opera, you simply configure a proxy server as localhost, port 5400.

Performance depends on what you're doing. The setup screens allow you to bypass the proxy for certain sites and a system tray icon lets you turn it off completely. You can also separately disable email speed-up and pop-ups and choose the compression level for images. At moderate compression, a gallery of photographs downloaded over the modem in one minute, instead of five minutes and 30 seconds without. However, we noticed a lot of artefacts. This gets considerably worse as the compression level is increased.

Onspeed is also less effective when dealing with files that are already compressed, such as zip. If you understand those limitations and the trade-off between image quality and speed on web browsing, it's a good package. Mobile phone users will probably save more than the monthly subscription."

Also see this forum

click here

Do a google and see what comes up.

PsiFox

JAKK 16:18 02 Feb 05

Thanks bfoc, you have answered (well your link has) my question. I will NOT be going with Onspeed, simply because, I need to be able to see images a lot, ie whilst shopping, and the kids won't want to see a reduction in the image (even if it's just slightly reduced).

Thanks, I guess I'll stick with broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…