Broadband ISP advice

john 20:28 24 Jul 03

I currently have a dial-up service connection using Freeserve and considering moving to Broadband. Cable is not an option in my area so looking at telephone links.

Having read the advice given to BJ in Jan/Feb I would expect further opinions are available.

Has anybody any opions on Freeserve, BTOpenworld, AOL, Tiscali, Pipex, Nildram, Demon etc.

ajm 21:00 24 Jul 03

I initially had BB from BT and it was very good. Paid £39.99 a month. 13 months ago ( and present) i have been with Pipex. Paying them £23.44 a month.

I am considering moving to Bulldog Adsl on their 2MB line for £29.36

further details on this special promo offer are available from

click here

Djohn 22:10 24 Jul 03

Also Zen is getting excellent reviews, Almost went to them, until I was offered a deal to good to refuse. click here J.

Al94 22:28 24 Jul 03

I have been using Nildram since March and generally find it OK. There have been a few unexplained outages at peak times but not enough to be a real pain. Generall fast, relaible and trouble free. Paying I think £23.99 per month for 512 which is fast enough unless you really want to dowload lots of movies.

IClaudio 23:09 24 Jul 03

I've been with Pipex for my whole Broadband career (about 9 months...) and have been entirely happy with them. As A194 said, you may want something faster if you're into big movies, but the 512 speed is plenty good enough for gaming (pings usually in the sub 50 region) and I've never had a bad connection with Pipex.

Go for it! And enjoy!

Forum Editor 23:19 24 Jul 03

I have had a BT OpenWorld broadband connection ever since the UK ADSL service was launched, and apart from a minor accounting glitch some time ago they haven't put a foot wrong. The connection is totally reliable, and does exactly what it is designed to do, day in and day out. I wouldn't dream of changing to another service provider.

Been with Pipex for about 3 months and am entirely happy with the service.

kentylad 12:17 25 Jul 03

I am running the Blueyonder 1MB service, however I initially had the 512KBs. I have absolutly no problems and have had none. Highly recommended and forever advancing their connection speeds

kentylad 12:17 25 Jul 03

hehe oops!! just read you post fully and picked up on the 'cable is not an option'

excuse me!

anchor 15:33 25 Jul 03

I have been with Pipex since March 2002; very satisfied.

Their current offer is excellent. For £17.57, including VAT, you get the ADSL modem, connection to Broadband, and 2 Micro Filters.

click here

simonp1 16:05 25 Jul 03

I have recommened Zen so many times, they are not the cheapest supplier but one of the best around for a few simple reasons.

Very fast connection, excellent customer support and only 1 month contracts. I wasnt charged a set up fee but this might have changed.

You can compare them and others on this independant site click here

If your a "gamer" i would certainly go for Zen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…