broadband info

Newuser2 10:59 13 May 06

Just a quick note on the above.
I'm with Telewest for BB & phone. I called them the other day to enquire as to any price reductions re the Talk Talk deals, TW told me they were looking at different price options & any deals etc. would be notified in due course. When I asked when that might be they didn't have any time scale.
I called BT re the porting back of my phone number & BT told me they were being deregulated in July & it would be best to wait to see the deals they would have.

Ikelos 11:35 13 May 06

Perhaps that is why BT wanted those who wanted the 8mb service to sign up for another year.

crafty or what ;-))

anthonystorey 23:59 13 May 06

i recently was going to cancel my tv package because we felt we wern't getting our moneys worth and we were going to get a freeview box but telewest offered me a reduction and i got a fiver knocked of my broadband so i think there would be some scope for a discount just say you want to cancel and see what they come up with its worth a try for the meantime

€dstowe 07:11 14 May 06

I had no qualms about signing up to BT 8Mb even if it did require me to sign up for another year.

BT have served their ISP role for me for many years and I can't see that suddenly coming to an end. After all, it is they that own all the infrastructure of the telephones system upon which the majority of the UK's Internet service relies - remembering, of course, that a huge number of people do not, or cannot, have the "advantages" of a cable connection.

I'd rather have this than give up "the devil I know" to sign up to a completely unknown service that has had so many enquiries that the owners themselves don't know how they are going to cope.

I have a distinct feeling of déjà vu on this where some wonder service has come into being only to collapse or be abandoned a few days/weeks/months later when it is realised that the system is physically and/or financially unviable.

Forum Editor 09:45 14 May 06

I have to admit that I'm with you on this - I have been with the BT broadband service ever since it started, and have had superb service from them, including a recent upgrade to 6Mb.

I have no intention of jumping ship, simply because someone comes along with what seems to be a better offer. I'm quite sure that BT have some surprises up their sleeve, and I'm going to stick with them. They have the world's best technical telecoms people, and the infrastructure to back it all up.

Newuser2 17:16 15 May 06

I've got no probs with TW (the service is good) except the price compared with TT offer.
It costs £25 for BB plus £11 for the line rental plus the call costs.
I'm going to wait awhile to see what shakes out from all the ISP's.
On the BT theme is it possible to have a router and two or three PCs hooked up at the same time.

ray7 17:35 15 May 06

€dstowe

"completely unknown service"
"some wonder service has come into being only to collapse or be abandoned after a few days/weeks/months.....

strange.....I have recently completed a 12 month contract for Talktalk broadband without any problems.

FE

"...what SEEMS to be a better offer.....

No "seems" about it....it IS a better offer.

€dstowe 17:41 15 May 06

The Talk talk deals under discussion here, as I understand it, are the new untried, untested "free" broadband offers.

This is, as I said a "completely unknown service" and may well match "some wonder service [which] has come into being only to collapse or be abandoned after a few days/weeks/months....."

Stuartli 17:53 15 May 06

Surely it would make more sense not to prejudge TalkTalk's Talk3 International offer until it has been running for a while - then any comments will be relevant rather than mere conjecture?

In any case, even if this offer had been made without the free broadband, then it would still be exceptional in view of the normal cost of international calls alone.

deadlion 17:58 15 May 06

To Newuser2....I'm with Telewest. Phone them up and tell them you're leaving...you're going to TalkTalk who are cheaper....you'll be offered a deal to stay. I got a reduction from £25 to £14.99 for 6 months, and I intend to push them hard again when this is up. The service is good, you're right, and I can't be bothered switching to another ISP but that doesn't mean accepting TW's standard charges. Challenge them! They'll play ball to keep you onboard.

€dstowe 18:39 15 May 06

The main premise of my response here is given in the first sentence of my first reply: "I had no qualms about signing up to BT 8Mb even if it did require me to sign up for another year."

I then expanded that to give a little explanation of my reasons for my resistance to changing.

Further comments have been extracted from my post, put somewhat out of context and given an undeserved and unintended importance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…