Broadband - how do they check connectivity?

minter 23:58 17 Sep 03

Don't know if this is the right forum, but here goes.

BT has announced that my local telephone exchange is getting broadbanded shortly.

When I checked on the BT availability checker I was told that although broadband will be available from the local exchange my line is too far for it to work.

I live in a village a couple of miles away from the exchange and realise that I will be on the limit of broadband "reception".

I have checked phone lines around my address and the checker says that some can and others can't get it.

A couple of the houses that have been told will be able to get broadband must be further away from the exchange than me, however they measure it.

Does anyone know how they check lines.

Can age have any bearing - properties which can't get broadband were all built about 10/12 years before the others that can.

-pops- 06:49 18 Sep 03

I think you may be right about the age of properties and their associated telecom connections.

The house I live in was built early 20th century bu, until I moved there 20 years ago wasn't wired up for a phone. It was quite common not to have a phone then. I had phone lines installed. I get broadband.

A house nearby of a similar vintage to mine but which has a very old phone system - it is only recently they have had plug in rather than the old wired in phones - cannot have broadband even though they are physically slightly closer to the exchange.

Have a look on click here There may be some info there.

Brian

Forum Editor 07:46 18 Sep 03

when you ask for broadband:-

1. subscriber to exchange line distance. Thisa is the line length, NOT the line-of-sight distance to the exchange, so every twist and turn that the line takes is included.

2. Line quality. This is exactly what it says - a test of the ability of the line to cope with an analogue/digital service, and many lines fall at this fence. Age may certainly come into it here.

minter 08:55 18 Sep 03

Thanks for the info, food for thought.

I wonder if there is any point in getting BT to check my line quality.

Our line is connected via a box just outside the house and I wonder if cleaning the terminals in it may help, or is it not allowed.

-pops- 09:59 18 Sep 03

Look on the website I gave above. You can do some testing yourself.

wags 13:20 18 Sep 03

If you are concerned with line quality (ie noise/crackling) contact BT to do a line check.

I have very recently connected to broadband and prior to that, had to report a noisy line to BT who dealt with the problem very efficiently. An engineer called around within a couple of days and found that the master socket was corroded and changed it. This solved the line problem. No charge made as this is the master scoket.

I then connected to ADSL via Pipex who got me up and running in 5 working days (including delivery of equipment and activation of the line). A friend of mine who, "as the crow flies" lives equidistantly from the local exchange, cannot get ADSL (so the online tests report), so as the FE has advised, it's the actual length of line, not the direct distance from the house to the exchange that counts.

minter 13:39 18 Sep 03

Thanks everyone.

PCA forums are the best thing since sliced bread. The amount of knowledge out there at the other end of my moden is tremendous.

When I get a problem that is beyond me (and that is fairly often) I post a message and soon the replies come. The answers in the past have saved me a lot of money. Plus the satisfaction of sorting it out with a little help from my friends.

So, till next time - thanks!

graham√ 21:46 18 Sep 03

As the FE says, it's the line length.

From the exchange, your line will be in a cable that goes to a PCP, Primary Connection Point. This is the green cabinet you see at the roadside. In the worst case, this may be a mile away.

Even if that cable passes your house, there will be another cable back to a DP, Distribution Point. Then a smaller underground or overhead cable to your property.

(Wardy) 22:53 18 Sep 03

Hey Dude
I can sympathize with your connection problems I?ve been lucky my local exchange has had ADSL for about a year, but every time that I asked any ISP for an ADSL connection my line would fail the length test or noise to the exchange. After trying about 30 ISP?s to give me an ADSL connection. I was waiting for the (sorry but email)
This time it said your line will be activated in for days MAGIC so you keep knocking on the door
:-)

aljon 12:50 20 Sep 03

Can anyone tell me where I can get software to check if I am getting the correct bandwith from my isp.
Thanks.
aljon.

-pops- 13:20 20 Sep 03

For all things broadband, look at ADSL Guide - that is the website my click here is for, above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…