Broadband Hoax???

lex_davies 17:59 17 Nov 03

After waiting Patiently for my exchange to be broadband enabled, the moment arrived and i went to bt.com to register for it and to my horror i am still in broadband limbo. So i guess i will have to make do with the slightly faster than normal but still slower than broadband homehighway line that i have. What's the point of enabling exchanges if people on the exchange still can't use broadband? This is from click here

"Your exchange has ADSL broadband. However, the length of the telephone line between you and the exchange is too long for ADSL broadband. However, we are continuing to look for alternative technology solutions and will keep you updated with developments as they happen"

Tenner 18:29 17 Nov 03

I'm no expert, but try
click here or click here for a link to

click here

there's also a link to a sat. ISP which may solve your problem - must add it is one solution, not THE solution

regards

Forum Editor 18:48 17 Nov 03

did you choose to use the word 'hoax' in your title? Where's the hoax, or even the suggestion of one?

There's an upper limit to the line length over which the ADSL service will work - it's a well known restriction, and BT have for some time been working to develop ways of overcoming it. There's no subterfuge involved, it's a technical issue. The line length criteria is just that, the actual length of the cable between your house and the exchange, including all the twists and turns under and above ground - not the distance as the crow flies.

canard 20:33 17 Nov 03

There was an interesting article in one of the broadsheets about a group of people who were so chiz with their lack of BB or hope of same that they clubbed together and organised wireless BB [if that's the right term].

Mike ® 21:05 17 Nov 03

It's not really the line length that's the issue, but rather the noise levels generated. In an ideal world with decent copper cable should work upto 6km, however there may me aluminium or even steel cables which will reduce the working distance somewhat. A BT engineer has told me my line length is about 5km, but being old aluminium cable no hope of broadband.

rent-a-cop 21:45 17 Nov 03

Hoax??? actually which would suggest he means is it a hoax? so the simple answer is, no it is not. I suppose that's why hoax is in the title.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…