//some 3rd party need geo

Broadband headaches

carl48 12:47 04 Nov 03

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I am at the moment with Virgin.net broadband and the service is useless, especially at night. Instead of being 10 times quicker than dial-up, it is often impossible to connect to web pages or download emails after 7pm.

My question is, can anyone on this forum who uses broadband say what their own ISP is like. I'm looking to change but don't want to sign up for a 12-month contract with another ISP like Virgin. Any recommendation will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Carl

simonp1 13:04 04 Nov 03

Zen click here

Month by month contracts, rated very highly on the site..click here

I have been with them for many months and have recomended them to many people on this site and to people i know. I have yet to here anyone have an issue with them. Their speeds are great at what ever time of the day or night.

As its only a one month contract you have very little to lose.

pj123 13:07 04 Nov 03

Have a look at click here and pick one.

johnnyrocker 13:52 04 Nov 03

a google search will list the top 85 in the uk.

johnny.

Smudge 16:12 04 Nov 03

I'm with Pipex and don't have any problems with connection or speed. Good set-up service too.

Kniffy 17:49 04 Nov 03

My household has 2 separate PCs, one on W98, the other on WXP, both connected at speparate times to normal BT line via the one connector for ordinary "steam" web conncetions, using the same ISP.

Thinking of going BT Broadband to get their Voyager 2000 package for wireless simultaneous connection for more than one computer. Anyone done this and can comment please? Is there expereince of pther providers that provide same service but cheaper?

Helpful assistance gratefully appreciated. Kniffy

Cal 19:11 04 Nov 03

BT Broadband works fine for me.
Ocassionally can take a short time to log on but with a downstream of 576 Kbps I can't really complain.

danknightuk 19:35 04 Nov 03

I can agree with simonp1. I have been using Zen for about a year now and had the following problems:

News, mail and internet servers fail on average every two months for about ten minutes (probably a reboot needed at their end) and have been down for about a couple of hours once in that year.

There are no contention issues that I am aware of. Usually get an above average rating on bandwidthplace.com regardless of time of day.

Telephone support was a nightmare at first as the router/modem I bought (SpeedTouch 570) may as well have come with a manual in Japanese for all the help the English version was and support was only 9 - 5 Mon - Fri. Not that I've used them since the first set up but support is now Mon - Sat.

The website also gives you details of any planned outages (usually at silly times that I'm asleep!) and any other problems.

You are offerred eight IP addresses if you need them but encouraged not to take them if you don't. Some of the cable providers don't offer this and won't support multi PC network connections using NAT. Zen are happy to help.

Overall Rating for Zen - 10/10

graham√ 19:40 04 Nov 03

May be better to start a seperate thread for your question.

Cal, 576 is only what the comp is saying. Do a speed test to find the true figure. click here

The Lights Are On 21:16 04 Nov 03

I have used BT BB for two years & rarely have problems, I can't say it's ever slow, overall delighted with it.

tekkie 10:05 05 Nov 03

Ditto after 7pm. There is a service announcement on Virgin web page about problems they are having, virus and so on and how they are concerned to give good service etc. etc. They say problem will be fixed in two weeks!

Should you hold your breath!?

If its not fixed by mid Nov I am off to elsewhere.

Dial up is faster. V BB is 5-8 mins to load web page.

Other BB's do not seem to be having these problems. Why only V?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…