Broadband do i need an Engineer?

Tick Tock 16:15 17 Sep 04

At last i have just checked the BT website to find
i can now get broadband but as i have a long line
they say i may need an engineer to set it up.I will
not be using BT as my ISP anyway will i still need
a engineer. anybody else needed an engineer?.

Noleg24 18:06 17 Sep 04

I never needed an engineer but saying that when I first got braodband 3 yrs ago 2 engineers had to come to my house to set it up. they had to check the loop loss (in other the amount of noise on the line) to make sure it was within the right distance and I was up and running. now these days you dont need an engineer to come round. maybe you need cos the distance you may live from the exchange to be sure you can get the speed you want otherwise there may be problems after you get broadband. who were you planning on getting as an ISP and what speed did you want? also how much are you looking at in terms of price as I can recommend an ISP I use who are very good but they are not very well known as they dont advertise very hugely on their products. but they are good.

Noleg24 18:06 17 Sep 04

I never needed an engineer but saying that when I first got braodband 3 yrs ago 2 engineers had to come to my house to set it up. they had to check the loop loss (in other words the amount of noise on the line) to make sure it was within the right distance and I was up and running. now these days you dont need an engineer to come round. maybe you need cos the distance you may live from the exchange to be sure you can get the speed you want otherwise there may be problems after you get broadband. who were you planning on getting as an ISP and what speed did you want? also how much are you looking at in terms of price as I can recommend an ISP I use who are very good but they are not very well known as they dont advertise very hugely on their products. but they are good.

Tick Tock 19:24 17 Sep 04

I am not sure who to go with yet but i am looking
at maybe 5 times faster than my dialup isp which
at present is tiscali.Also i do not think that i
live far from my exchange about 3 miles at most.

spuds 19:36 17 Sep 04

Do not arrange for a BT engineer to call, and do any line work at this stage. Get an ISP sorted out, and let them deal with BT, otherwise it will cost you, which may not be necessary.

Tiscali broadband 3x-5x-10x are all worth considering. I use Tiscali 3x and 10x, both work as good. Tiscali supply the Thomson SpeedTouch modem, as well as the Sagem [email protected] 800 modem. The SpeedTouch can give problems if you have a motherboard with the SIS ALI chipset.There are remedies to solve this problem if they occure.

Tick Tock 19:52 17 Sep 04

Ok no engineer for now, will try to sort out which
ISP to go with hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Diemmess 20:07 17 Sep 04

Aol offer a 7 day cooling off period to see whether you like it. Cancel within 7 days and return the hardware, otherwise you are into a 12 month contract.

You can choose a low speed say 256 (bronze)to Upgrade at any time later, if you want their gold or platinum speed.

I live in the sticks, have had the facility available since July and used BB since the beginning of August without snags.

CurlyWhirly 23:05 17 Sep 04

I have recently upgraded to the faster 1 mb service (from 512 kb) and when I typed my telephone number in I also had the message that 'due to the length of your line you may need a BT engineer to call to provide the service' but in almost a week of upgrading I have had NO problems with my broadband connection.
CW

Tick Tock 23:13 17 Sep 04

I live in a big city and only 2 weeks ago was it
made available in my area.

CurlyWhirly 23:15 17 Sep 04

I am not sure who to go with yet but I am looking at maybe 5 times faster than my dialup isp which at present is tiscali.Also I do not think that I live far from my exchange about 3 miles at most.

To find out approx how far you live from your exchange then just go to click here and then click on AVAILABILTY CHECKER then enter your telephone number and postcode and then click on BT ADSL and then you should see the aprox distance to your exchange (straight line distance)
CW

carolineann 10:36 18 Sep 04

Have just checked my E-Mails and I seem to have recieved one from Noleg24 to (I presume) Tick Tock.

Would you like me to forward it?

Caroline

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…