Broadband cancellation charge

hssutton 09:02 25 Sep 08

Have just received an email from my ISP

Quote "Our supplier, BT Wholesale, has introduced a cancellation charge which applies if you stop or ‘cease’ your broadband service. This may mean you'd get charged if you cancelled your broadband with us. Examples of where the charge is payable can include moving house, or changing supplier. From the 29th October 2008, if you cancel your broadband service, there will now be a £20 fee payable."

Any comments?

GRIDD 09:12 25 Sep 08

After the 29th of October you'll get charged £20 if you want to move. Seems reasonable as there is work involved.... BB charges are falling all the time, they need some way to increase revenue.

As well as that it'll stop those like my father-in-law who jump ISP for the sake of it. I have known him for over five years and he's moved ISP 5 times.

oldbeefer2 09:17 25 Sep 08

Seems fair if you move house, but not if you switch supplier - no work involved in the exchange for BT in that situation.

rickf 10:41 25 Sep 08

Free if you get a MAC for migration

oldbeefer2 10:44 25 Sep 08

I didn't think you could migrate without a MAC?

spuds 10:52 25 Sep 08

Ofcom are looking at the Broadband service industry and 'unfair contracts', so it might pay to contact them click here

Would mention that a colleague of mine was involved with a dispute late last years, regarding their fathers ISP. The father died, and the ISP was notified, but it still didn't stop the ISP in demanding money owing.

Stuartli 11:22 25 Sep 08

The quote you provide does include the phrase: "..This may mean you'd get charged.."

oldbeefer2 11:37 25 Sep 08

Yes, but it also says 'Examples of where the charge is payable can include moving house, or changing supplier'

hssutton 13:22 25 Sep 08

The last sentence.

"From the 29th October 2008, if you cancel your broadband service, there will now be a £20 fee payable."

seems pretty clear to me.

Agree the rest is a little ambiguous, and suggests you may or indeed may not get charged if you move house or change provider

Charence 13:38 25 Sep 08

I thought companies charged you to obtain a MAC?
A few years ago, it was cheaper for me to cancel ADSL and then reapply for it.. rather than paying a penalty for changing ISP.

rickf 13:59 25 Sep 08

Was just reiterating part of the email which I also had. No fee if migrating with a MAC number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…