Brilliant customer service

Kate B 19:32 08 Sep 04

... if only the PC industry would take a lesson from my experience today with Ocado, the online supermarket.

I had my purse nicked this afternoon with all my plastic in it. Having cancelled everything, I rang Ocado and said "I've got a delivery booked with you for Friday but you'd better cancel it as the card payment will be denied" - and told the very nice woman on the line what had happened.

She went off and talked to her manager and came back and told me: "It's a bit rough that you won't be able to get your groceries. We'll deliver them to you on Friday even though the card will be denied. Could you send us a cheque for the amount - which we'll know once the order is finally put together - and that'll be fine."

How about that for amazing service? I'm seriously impressed. Now, PC manufacturers, listen up and draw lessons from that.

Djohn 20:32 08 Sep 04

Thats what I call good service and concern for a customer. Nice to hear. j.

spuds 23:02 08 Sep 04

It's all down to trust and honesty.My local Chinese and Indian takeaways except cheques on delivery.

Forum Editor 23:34 08 Sep 04

I'm sorry to hear about your purse, but what service from Ocado! The company has got its marketing operation right, and they've just been voted best on line shopping site, a well-deserved accolade. Their site is superb, and the easiest of all the on-line supermarket sites to use by far.

We use them often, the deliveries are always on time, and the quality of the Waitrose produce is superb - fresher fruit and veg than you get in the store. Once, we were short-delivered some steak which we had ordered specially for a university send-off dinner for my daughter, Not only did the delivery driver give us two bottles of excellent wine by way of compensation, but on the next delivery we got the steak - free of charge.

If only some other on-line retailers would take note.

Kate B 00:26 09 Sep 04

Just goes to show - customer service doesn't have to be the lowest common denominator. I was delighted recently when Safeway sold my local store to Waitrose as part of the Morrisons deal - not only do I now use Ocado online, I use the real store for odd bits of ad-hoc shopping too. As a result of this, I am now one seriously loyal customer.

Think it's to do with Waitrose/Ocado being part of the John Lewis network - I've always had great service from them, too. In fact I'm a third-generation account-card holder ...

Thanks for your empathy about the purse, btw. Police were wearingly efficient about it. I guess as it's only happened to me twice in 25 years I should count myself lucky.

TomJerry 09:49 09 Sep 04

maybe other big PLCs have no clear ownership, so noone actually care. For private compinies, owners really care. only a guess

Stuartli 14:17 09 Sep 04

John Lewis and its associate companies' employees have a personal stake in the company and its profits.

To quote its own website:

"All permanent employees are Partners in the business, enjoying a share in its success. Every year, after money is set aside for investment, every penny of profit is distributed amongst Partners as a cash bonus based on a percentage of their annual pay. No owners. No shareholders. Just people sharing the wealth they help to create. That’s why our people are called Partners. That’s why it’s a different sort of job."

However, superb though the quality of products on offer, a lot of the standard branded products are almost always available very much cheaper at other supermarkets.

We've just gained a new Waitrose - after our first visit (spend £5 for two hours' free parking) we bought just two items totalling under £2.

My wife rightly baulked at paying over the odds for goods just to get free parking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…