Brighthouse News

harps1h 19:55 14 May 09

I was listening to the news about Brighthouse and their alleged bully tactics on repossession of goods, and I was wondering how true this may be.

Has anyone out there experienced this or know someone who has?

birdface 06:20 15 May 09

Having watched a bit of it on the television last night it is not a company that I would like to deal with.
I pity the customers that get behind in there payments.
One customer that had been in hospital for 2 or 3 weeks and had missed her payments received a threatening phone call that they would be round to collect her goods if payment was not paid immediately. An other one they had either gone round to the house or were about to go round to the house to remove things that they had purchased for there sons Xmas.If I remember right I believe that they actually removed them.
It is not a great way to treat customers.
I can understand that they want paying for their goods but using threatening tactics the way that they do should not be allowed.

Belatucadrus 14:15 15 May 09

There are quite a few postings on the net about Brighthouse and their somewhat bellicose methods of chasing payment. Not a company I'd have any dealings with.

anchor 14:46 15 May 09

Surely it must be illegal to remove goods without a court order, even if they are not fully paid for.

interzone55 15:11 15 May 09

When looking at Brighthouse one should consider their customer base, who are typically the sort of people who cannot get credit anywhere else, often because they've defaulted on loans in the past - therefore they're not exactly trustworthy.

For this reason Brighthouse often have to take a very strong line when it comes to chasing late payment.

Belatucadrus 15:42 15 May 09

Offering credit to people that can't afford it at a usurious typical APR 29.9%, then sending the heavies round when things go pear shaped. Like I said, not somebody I'd care to deal with, looks too much like the respectable shape of loan sharking to me.

interzone55 15:59 15 May 09

Whilst I'm in no way supporting Brighthouse, the "usurious typical APR 29.9%" simply represents the risk taken by Brighthouse when lending to their customers - the greater the risk, the higher the price and greater the potential loss / gain - it's the same with insurance

oresome 16:21 15 May 09

I take exception to the phrase "not exactly trustworthy" as an all embracing description and would prefer the word creditworthy be used .

Through a variety of unforeseen circumstances, people may be unable to maintain payments on loans. This doesn't make them untrustworthy.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:41 15 May 09

1) They are not forced to take the loans, so an interest rate that is comparable to some credit cards, is not 'usurious'.
2) Word it any way you want but their clientèle are not exactly top of the class when it comes to the creditworthy exam. This is refelected in the APR.
3) If people default on their payments then it is their fault, no one else's.
4) They do not 'send heavies round', they merely take back goods that people have defaulted on. This is a common practice and you would all do the same if someone defaulted on goods bought from you.
5) If they did take goods that were meant for a child's Xmas, I would have expected the parents to have made sure that they kept up the payments and to refrain from whining and blaming everyone else.
6) This is the problem that they have to deal with...'I am currently a single mother living on benefits and have bad credit, i went to brighthouse and they seemed really nice. i started by getting one thing on credit and then just went up and up. I have been with them 9months now and paying £60 per week to them ( including service cover ). I then had a financial difficulty and missed 3 payments and was £180 in debt'...click here She has missed payments and cannot repay the overdue ones, what are Brighthouse supposed to do?
7) If you read the rest of the above thread, all the complaints are from people who have defaulted on payments. What do they expect when they have renaged on an agreement?

G

BT 16:48 15 May 09

"Surely it must be illegal to remove goods without a court order, even if they are not fully paid for."

I think you will find that the credit terms they offer are similar to Hire Purchase in that the goods only become yours when you have paid the last payment, and until then they are within their rights to repossess the goods if you default. Not that I agree with the 'strong arm' tactics but as often happens people don't read the 'small print' and then complain when the company call in the loan as it were.

interzone55 16:55 15 May 09

"I take exception to the phrase "not exactly trustworthy""

I think I worded it about right - you can't trust some of the customers to keep up the payments...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…