BP's profits

ened 14:32 29 Oct 08

There has been much comment in the news about the profit BP is making.

In Newquay this morning, where there are only two petrol stations, Unleaded at the BP Station was 99.9 pence per litre.

Five miles away on the A30 at Carland Cross (Shell) I filled up my tank for 93.9 ppl.

That is such a big difference it almost makes it worth driving the extra to fill up.

But isn't it just profiteering and heaping the misery on already hard up drivers by BP.

I for one will avoid BP stations if that is their approach and if many more people took this action they would soon have to drop their prices.

birdface 15:29 29 Oct 08

Well said.BP has always been about the dearest garage for fuel.Pity that you could not get everyone to boycott them for a week or a fortnight.They would soon get the message.

natdoor 15:36 29 Oct 08

Ten miles at 40p per mile versus fifty litres at 6p per litre saving. It's your call, but I wouldn't bother unless I could make use of most of the journey for another purpose.

Still paying £1 per litre around here from most petrol stations.

The Brigadier 15:48 29 Oct 08

Why complain?
The share holders & those with pensions linked to BP's profits are happy.

interzone55 17:31 29 Oct 08

Is the Shell garage with in few miles of a supermarket? That'll be why they're cheaper.

BP's profits are mainly from oil fields, and the rise in price of crude. Only a tiny, tiny amount is from sales at filling stations, so I doubt very much they're dining out on the 6p a litre at your local garage...

ened 17:59 29 Oct 08

No it is not near a Supermarket.

It is on the A30 outside Truro and several miles from any competition. It has always been the cheapest in tyhe area and whilst I agree that it is not worth the time and effort to make a special journey I always try to time it that I need a fill up when I need to visit the metropolis of Truro.

'I doubt very much they're dining out on the 6p a litre at your local garage...' Not dining out but ripping off the locals!!!

spuds 18:36 29 Oct 08

Around my neck of the woods, there seems to be a price difference within a 3 mile radius. Asda, Sainburys and Texico at 94.9p, Tesco and an independent at 99.9p.If you buy £50.00 or more worth of groceries at Tesco, they will give 5p off a litre of fuel at their forecourt.

According to todays newspaper, BP are making a profit of £70million per day.

Stuartli 18:38 29 Oct 08

BP's big profits are not linked to the price of petrol (a very small proportion of its overall business), but to the price of oil in recent months and the fall of the pound against the dollar.

The hypocrisy of Brown and Co complaining about high fuel prices beggars belief - some 80 per cent or more of the cost of petrol or diesel at the pumps comprises tax and VAT.

But when did you ever hear Brown or Darling saying they will reduce the tax level and benefit all vehicle and transport owners?

Stuartli 18:40 29 Oct 08

end did say: "...it almost makes it worth driving the extra to fill up."

Almost, but not quite apparently.

The price at the pump also depends just how far away your area is from an oil refinery and the related tanker delivery costs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009