Bouncing spam

I recently purchased a PC from Mesh. Software that came with the machine included "Mailwasher" which deletes,blacklists &/or bounces selected emails. I have been using this software.
However, PC Advisor (Jan 2004 p54) says "Do not (bounce) send spam back to sender".
Am I wrong in using this software? Should I stop using it and merely delete emails as required?

dth 17:27 01 Dec 03

There isn't any real clear cut answer.

Like you I have been using mailwasher to bounce back spam. Since most of the spam addresses are forged I suppose it doesn't really matter whether you delete or delete and bounce.

Using the bounce and delete option with one email address I have gone (over a 2 month period) from 10 spam emails a day to 1 a week. But with another email address I've gone from 2 a day to 10 a day.

Where is the logic?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:33 01 Dec 03

There is no point in bouncing spam as it just increases the load on the net. Mailshot companies use rented or proxy servers so they never get any mail back. The servers have post box programmes that will auto-delete any bounced mail. Best thing is just to delete the items.

G

spuds 19:01 01 Dec 03

As Mr G as stated, no point in bouncing spam. It can result in someone else having a spam problem.

I have just been reading a very interesting article about how spam finds it's way into your box. Best to use a complicated email username.A simple initial or obvious name, will some be an easy advantage to the spam sender.

Strangely Brown 08:06 02 Dec 03

As DTH says, you can instruct Mailwasher to delete spam automatically without bouncing it. That way, they will probably still send you stuff but you'll never see it. Plus you are not adding to the spam traffic as Gandalf points out.

Still looking for a decent plug in for Outlook Express rather than using mailwasher though. Anyone got any ideas?

dth 15:21 03 Dec 03

Further to my post yesterday. I carried out an experiment with my wife’s old moribund LineOne account. It hasn't been used for months and had about 1,200 spam emails. Looking back over the last week or so she was receiving about 5 new ones a day.

Anyway deleted and bounced the whole lot (took ages) and today she has had 50 new spam emails. Not very scientific but it shows that it isn't worth bouncing.

TBH1 15:39 03 Dec 03

dth - that just about sorts it for us then, just delete 'em - - - I'm sure your patience will be rewarded.

To everyone who has replied thanks for all your advice.
I think the last response (from TBH1) sums it up - the programme does about nothing that I can't do myself. I'll just forget it and delete them myself.

TBH1 17:14 03 Dec 03

fredflintstone - I meant set mailwasher to delete them - - the advantage you have if you do use mailwasher with OE is that you can see the size of email before you download them - on a modem dial-up can save you lots of time. Sorry for confusion - but I would user mailwasher if I were you, but just set it to delete and not bounce.
I'll get me coat then - -

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…