Borrowing Sky Box

  Colin 20:52 13 Sep 07
Locked

I have a Sky Digibox but do not have a Sky subscription anymore. My son, who has a subscription, will be working away for a month and I am wondering that if I borrow his box and connect it to my dish it will work? I understand that it’s not just a case of using his viewing card in my box. If it does work, I assume that this doesn’t fall foul of Sky’s T&C’s as only one person is using the service.

  irishrapter 22:19 13 Sep 07

If you take his box and card and plug it into your dish then it will work.
If you took his card and used it in your box then it will not.

Is he still in his first years contract with Sky?
If so, the box is meant to stay connected to his phone line for the first year. May cause a problem if its left disconnected for too long but one month shouldn't be a big problem.
Just don't plug his box into your phone line!

As for breach of Sky's T&C i don't know, but at a guess I would say you are not allowed to move the box to another house. But the real question is, will they find out?
I know of people that use Sky on the mainland Europe without any problems!

  Colin 22:25 13 Sep 07

Thanks for the response. I'll find out tomorrow night if it works!

  Stuartli 00:01 14 Sep 07

Ever since the days of the BSkyB tranmissions it has been possible to pinpoint individual satellite connections - in fact Sky used to hone advertisements according to the type of feedback from subscribers.

However, my best mate (who has an independent audio/video/appliances outlet) uses his shop demonstration Sky card at home as and when nwcessary...:-)

  Ranger 00:23 14 Sep 07

Whe I had Sky, even during the 1st year I used to leave the telephone line unconnected for weeks, sometimes over a month, Sky never contacted me about it or cut me off or anything

  tullie 07:27 14 Sep 07

And dont forget,the card is paired to the box,you are not required to have phone connected anymore

  961 11:09 14 Sep 07

Firstly, anyone who goes away from home for a month and does not disconnect his box, tv and all the rest of the stuff from the electricity supply and the phone line needs carting off to the funny farm, whatever Sky may wish. If in doubt, ask the local fire service

So long as he does not have multiroom (more than one box and card)there should be no problem

  Colin 13:32 14 Sep 07

961 - does the electrical equipment know you are away and decide to burst into flames if you are? I’ve been at home for over 3 months without turning anything off at the wall and they’re still intact.

  irishrapter 13:38 14 Sep 07

"Ever since the days of the BSkyB tranmissions it has been possible to pinpoint individual satellite connections - in fact Sky used to hone advertisements according to the type of feedback from subscribers."

How do they do this?
Sky digital satellite system is one way only, its not a two way system, thats why we need the phone line to order movies or PPV sports.

I know of several people who have a Sky subscription registered at a UK address and are using it in France and Spain.

  grumpygramp 13:53 14 Sep 07

Sky ! 90 % crap the other 10% repeated over and over on each channel in rotation .

  tullie 14:08 14 Sep 07

So if you dont like it,dont use it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant