Book reader

john bunyan 20:59 15 Nov 10

I was considering a Kindle as a book reader, but wonder if an i Pod touch would do - it could then also dowmload audio books and you can get a kindle appp. It could do all the other things as well - music etc. But is it pracical as a book reader? I am, for the moment, not consireing an i Pad , but maybe I will reconsider, but it seems like a bigger i Pod Touch.

wiz-king 21:19 15 Nov 10

It would do - at a pinch. Battery life would be rubbish and screeen size wrong. It's a case of horses for courses - if you need to read in the dark dont get an e-book reader as they dont have a backlight.

Forum Editor 21:23 15 Nov 10

Kindles don't have a backlight, it's true, but you can get a very neat little light that clips onto a Kindle cover. I don't have a light, but I'm getting one, I found it very difficult to read my Kindle screen in an aircraft 'artificial night' recently.

There's no backlight because the screen isn't like a computer screen, it uses 'electronic ink'

Forum Editor 21:27 15 Nov 10

You can get a Kindle app, as you say.

The iPad is an object of desire, and if I didn't think it was considerably over-priced I would buy one tomorrow. I think £600 (for the 32Gb 3G model, the one I would want)is far too high a price to pay for what you get, however, so for the time being I'm out of that market.

For that money I can get a decent netbook and a Kindle, and still have enough for a meal out with my wife.

john bunyan 22:25 15 Nov 10

Thanks.If the i Pad had windows etc it would be worth it. A netbook has a very small screen if used with windows and its toolbars. I think I will stick to a Kindle plus light/case for now.
wiz-king thanks, I agree re iPod size.

Forum Editor 22:28 15 Nov 10

plus light/case for now."

I'm doing the same,with the addition of a Netbook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…